Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Cute graphics don ´t make up for grammar mistakes and typos.    

Cute graphics don ´t make up for grammar mistakes and typos.

blunderbuster
Germany

Cute graphics don ´t make up for grammar mistakes and typos.

Hi there,

Yes, we are all human and from time to time we all err. But it is a shame that worksheets that use two cute images but are otherwise full of grammar mistakes and errors get more than 200 downloads within 14 hours and are raved about in the comments section of the ws.

Thumbs Down

Geez.

16 Feb 2011      

franknbea
United Kingdom

Hi Regina,
We are on the "if you want more downloads make your worksheet visually attractive" case again hmm?

It �s funny that none of the tutorials mention "make your worksheet 100% error free" 
I used to subscribe to the visually attractive brigade, but with the absurd price of printing cartridges in this country, I now opt for the error free ones insteadBig smile

16 Feb 2011     

blunderbuster
Germany

Hi Frank,

I don �t think we ever went off it. Lately it seems everyone wants a free ( or paid-for) ride on Thistlegirldesigns � tail......

I used one of today �s ws in class because I needed a reading ws quickly.... I had scanned it before xeroxing it....still.....horrible...

16 Feb 2011     

franknbea
United Kingdom

I wish I could say that hasn �t happened to me but....

16 Feb 2011     

Aline37
Turkey

It happened to me ONCE. I gave a worksheet without really checking it (that was when I was new to this site), and I felt quite embarassed by the mistakes in it.

But as you learn from your mistakes I haven �t done the same twice and I always make the time to check everything I download (worksheets or ppt). I �d rather give nothing and make up something at the last minute even if not the best than have my students learn bad English!

Unfortunately this topic has come up several times on the forum recently and I think that it would be quite impossible to check and correct all downloadables everyday!!!!!! Therefore it is up to you when you download to check.

Good evening to you all,

Aline

16 Feb 2011     

lshorton99
China

Hey Regina

I really don �t see the problem. Surely image is far more important than content? Personally, I just look for the most attractive worksheets and download them. I don �t read them anyway - just the title. I then give them out in class as they are and tell my students to fill them in. OK, yes, my students seem to complain a lot about errors and not understanding but I just tell them to stop whining about this �accuracy � nonsense. Occasionally one might mention exams and the need to communicate correctly with people from another country but I just point out pretty the worksheet is and that usually shuts them up.

I especially like worksheets with kittens and puppies on. Dolphins are also a plus. Can I put in a request for more of this type of worksheet? Actually, I �d like to see a separate category for this to make them easier to find.

Thanks a lot.

Lindsey

(Regina, Frank - Wink)

16 Feb 2011     

mena22
Portugal

I agree with you Regina - cute graphics don �t make up for grammar errors (The typos I can understand), but when we download a worksheet we don �t ususally have time to check it before leaving a comment. I look at the worksheet, and that �s right, the first thing that makes me look is the layout, the neatness, the colours, the graphics...and then read the description and take a look at the content. Only when I decide to use it do I read it and see if I want to make any changes or not. That �s why you see worksheets with errors with so many comments, I believe.

As for the grahics from www.thistlegitldesigns.com , what can I say? I love them and so do my students. But 80% of the time they get a colour version. Maybe that �s why! The greyscale print is quite good though.  

Wish you a nice day.
mena

16 Feb 2011     

DTCF
Turkey

Yuo  are  absultoely rihgt!!!!!

we soometmies :JUGDE A BOOK BUY ITS COVER:!!!!!!!!!

16 Feb 2011     

cheezels
New Zealand

@Ishorton99

16 Feb 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

@Ishorton99

I also love kittens and puppies. But, as I �m not sure if a cute clip makes a good printable, .......

I �ll try and change my style.

Here you have, two of my fave ones. You can keep to  your pets collection.
Don �t tell me they aren �t a must.

Hug

Have a nice day.
Linda

16 Feb 2011     

GIOVANNI
Canada

@Ishorton99 Very well said!  Like Chezzels, I had a good laugh, but you have to understand I �m a dog lover.

16 Feb 2011     

1    2    Next >