Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > European legislation on teaching hours ...    

European legislation on teaching hours ...

salaskas1
Belgium

European legislation on teaching hours ...

Hi everyone!

As always I need your help and advise! 

I am employed for 25 periods (45 mins each) and get paid for 30 (yeah I  know I work a lot more, but don �t we all).  On my wage slip it says that I am part-time but I have discovered some other teachers work less hours than me and are full-time?!!! No logic I know! 

Does anyone out there know the European legislation for the number of hours needed to work to be classed as part-time and full-time when you are a teacher?  

As it stands at the moment it looks like I do not have the greatest employer in the world!

Thanks for your help everyone and also for making such great worksheets!

Hugs

Sal

16 Feb 2011      

Zora
Canada

I am afraid that the E. U. doesn�t regulate "hours" needed to be classified as full-time. Each country has it�s own "employment" scheme or system.

For example here in Spain, I can hire somebody "full-time" and only have them working 20 hours a week. That is because the contract used only stipulates whether a person is on "full-time" with the company - meaning they are guaranteed that amount for an undetermined time or that they are "part time" and they have been hired for a limited amount of time. 

16 Feb 2011     

olaola
Italy

In Italy secondary school teachers work "full time" 18 hours a week (plus home working and 80 hours a year for planning, teachers � meetings, etc.)

16 Feb 2011     

ditku
Poland

In Poland it is 18 lesson periods (45minutes/each) per week in a public school. Of course, some teachers may have more classes (you get paid for these), provided there are some vacancies at school. As for the private schools and language schools, I believe every single one has its own regulations regarding the teachers � shifts. :)

17 Feb 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Linda

Hi Sal

Interesting point.
About Sal, not sure what you really want to know, but, for me, I am a teacher in a public school. I was supposed to be retired last school year but, now, with that dammed word called crisis, I am to work until 2018 or, may be 2020. This is how things are going around, here, in Portugal - nobody knows about anything.

@ Linda

Can you give me a further explanation about what is full and part time �

My idea ( probably I �m wrong ) a part time is a job where you don �t work the whole amount of hours.
You say a part time job is when you are hired for a limited period of time, ok, BUT, limited how?

For us, Portuguese poor ones, part time is - part of a daily job. It nevers refers to a part in a long time job.
If I get a job, let �s say for 4, 5 months, we don �t consider it a part time job. We call it  a contract with a previous fixed  end ( not sure if you understand this language, I hate lawyers � terms ).
Here, we cal part time when a teenager makes a few extra hours while he is studying, when I have some extra job, while I am working in a fix place...
well, great expectations - this is, surely, a matter.

Big hugs
Linda

17 Feb 2011     

Zora
Canada

Hi Linda,

Full time in Canada is 37.5 - 40 hours a week, plus some benefits (each company determines what that is... usually a medical bonus like dental or chiropractics or vacation time or pay.) and part-time is anything less than that. The main difference between the two is the "benefits" that full timers get that part-timers don �t.

Now in Spain, this is very, very different. Full time is when you are with a company with a contract that has "no time limit established", regardless of hours offered a week. (although, I think the minimum is 9 or 10 hours)  Basically, to fire anyone is very difficult because of this time clause as a person has to do something really bad to be removed from their job since firing within a "fixed contract" is extremely costly to the company.

Part time is when a person has a contract that basically has an end date. i.e. 6 months, a year, etc. and has to be renewed at the end of this period.

17 Feb 2011     

roneydirt
United States

Sal on the part time and full time that is discussed in the initial interviews and before the contract is signed on hiring you.  Go back and look over your hiring paperwork.  If you lost your copies go back to your main office and look at the copies that you had signed.  Sorry but none of us on here can help you with that, it is what you agreed to when you got hired.

17 Feb 2011     

salaskas1
Belgium

Hi everyone

Thanks so much for all your help and advice.

In a nutshell I am contracted to work 25 periods and they pay me for 30 periods (allowing for 5 extra work at home - if only it was so few right?!).  I work 50 minutes per period.  Hence the hours that I work are 25 hours per week.  My payslip says I am part-time.

My situation is that I was unsure as to the Belgium employment law regarding what is classified as part-time hours.  And indeed wondered if there was any European legislation as to how many hours a teacher works for part-time and how many for full-time.  

As mentioned there are teachers who work less hours than me but are classed as full-time?  I do not know how that is possible?!

I hope that has clarified my situation.  Thanks again for all your advice.

Sal

17 Feb 2011