Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Games on the forum    

Games on the forum

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

Games on the forum

Good evening, day and night to all of you. First i would like to say that i dont want to start a debate or fight with my post but i have to ask a favor or at least give a suggestion. Last night i was trying to find for a post that was posted a few weeks ago (which i finally found today). The thing is that i went through a lot of pages because i found that there were many, many post for the game WOD, now we have another two games .. the one about the captions, and the one about proverbs.  I really think that this games should be moved to the cafe because sometimes  important or interesting post suggesting site that can help us and people asking for help get lost among the many post about the games. One of the rules of the forums says that you should not start a new post when answering to another.. and when looking for the post i was trying to find i saw  posts declaring winners, saying that someone forgot to post the word, and talking about things related to the games when these post could have been including in the original game post. If someone is interested in playing the games it would be easier to find every post related to that in one post instead of several, this will also help not to break the rules of the forum. I also think that since there a not so many members interested in playing the games (and i say this because i also saw many post begging for people to play them http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=26063)  it would then be easier to move  them to the cafe which is the right place to be and people who play it would not start new post asking where is it? ( http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=26431   http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=25885    http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=25631).    Well as i say please dont  use this to start another feud just consider it as a suggestion and think about it.

18 Feb 2011      

juliegouaillardeu
France

I agree with you completely!

18 Feb 2011     

ELOJOLIE274
France

I kind of agree... I love the games here - although I don �t play much, I love reading the posts... - but it �s true they take a lot of place...
but I don �t like the idea of putting them in the cafe, i �ve been there a few times and it �s "too messy" for me: I find it hard to know who answers to who...
but maybe Victor could create a special section - like when he created one for the calendars... so that the forum would not be crowded by games and yet we could find easy the different answers...
but that �s just my humble opinion...

18 Feb 2011     

flaviatl
Argentina

I totally agree.  That �s what the cafe is for, right?

18 Feb 2011     

manonski (f)
Canada

You raise a very good point and I agree with what you are saying.

18 Feb 2011     

amanytharwat
Egypt

I agree with you because i faced your situation before and it was wasting time to search for a certain post among these games

18 Feb 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=26301 

18 Feb 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

Well, Liz, if people made the effort to put an easily searchable title to their posts, you wouldn �t have to worry about the games taking up �valuable � space. All those posts emblazoned with variations of  �please help �, �a question �, why �, �hi � and so on hardly constitute a helpful aid to checking older posts. 

I really can �t see anything wrong with games which have been introduced with some degree of general consent among the members on the forum. The 10-thread limit on the main page can sometimes mean that posts can appear and �go under � in the course of an hour (or even less) and that affects the bad as well as the good - and the ugly.

18 Feb 2011     

libertybelle
United States

As far as i can see - the posts and answers to these games are all under the same heading - therefore they really don �t take up more than ONE post. 
I also agree with almaz that if people write an appropriate heading - you can usually find them again.
The last thing I want to say is that the games have a lot to do with language.
Not everyone here is that good at English and these games are really good practice - for everyone.  They are really not off the topic of English, teaching and communicating. Many of these games can also be used in the classroom.
No one ever wrote that the messageboard is just for asking questions.
That was my humble opinion.
L

18 Feb 2011     

aliciapc
Uruguay

I agree with almaz and libertybelle : a proper heading solves the problem of not being able to find older posts.

18 Feb 2011     

GIOVANNI
Canada

I agree with Libertybell and Aliciapc.  We play games in the classroom, don �t we? 

18 Feb 2011     

1    2    Next >