Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > help    

help

desdemona85
Turkey

help

I  need your help about vocabulary teaching method.I want to teach vocabulary with effective and funny methods to my 10th and 11th class students , please help me.

19 Feb 2011      

joy2bill
Australia

One thing that I do and the students really get into is:
Create a word cloud of the target vocabulary from sites such as: 

Each student receives a copy and puts a circle around the words they know and can explain to others. (Be careful because they will try to circle unknown words. Pyschologically they also get a kick out of realising how many words they do know instead of always looking at the negative.)
Next, if they don �t know a word they( student A)  must find someone  (student B) who has circled a word. The person with the circled word (student B )then teaches the word to Student A.  Student A can now in turn teach the new word to student C. It does not have to be done in pairs..there can be groups of 3 or 4 listening to the explanation. It works because every student is involved all the time and they keep repeating the definition thereby reinforcing it.

The teacher must watch out for incorrect definitions.
At the end of the period they must give me one new word they learnt today.
Cheers Joy

20 Feb 2011     

FunWithWords
India

Many teachers here have found this to be a useful (and kind of Fun) vocabulary building tool:

http://www.RapiDefs.com

You can read about different creative applications / usage methods suggested by various ESL teachers at some of the posts here:

http://www.RapiDefs.com/guestbook

Hope that helps.  Smile

20 Feb 2011     

ellakass
Israel

It is really nice.I use it with my pupils. Thank you.

20 Feb 2011