Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > grouping technique    

grouping technique

Novita79
Indonesia

grouping technique

Dear Colleague

First I �d like to thank you for this wonderful site. I am looking for different kinds of technique to group my students for group work. They are teenagers. They tend to work with their close friends, or girls work with the girls, boys will be with boys. I do counting to group them. But I �m tired of using the same technique to create different pattern of interaction. I would be very thankful if you could share your experience or information about this. Thanks.

20 Feb 2011      

joy2bill
Australia

I use several different ways:
group according to  : month of birthday e.g all January birthdays go together
                               : day of month of birthday eg, 1st, 2nd, 3rd
                               : colours they are wearing
                               : type of shoes
                               : favourite colour, music, band, etc
                               : different coloured worksheets so pink work together, green and so on
                               : hair colour, length of hair
                               : letter of the alphabet that their first name begins with, second name
                               : age of grandparents, siblings
                               : number of cousins
                               : mother �s birthday (month or day not year!), father �s birthday, siblings
There are a myriad of ways once you get into the swing of it.
Just be prepared for a few minutes chaos as they think about the answers and then forget their groups but it is worth it in the end as it is still reinforcing English.
Cheers Joy

20 Feb 2011     

kodora
Greece

Here are some  ideas:
http://www.projectalert.com/assets/0/318/Creative-Ways.pdf
http://www.examiner.com/sf-education-games-in-san-francisco/fun-ways-to-group-students-for-classroom-games
I hope they help
Dora

20 Feb 2011     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

i also use a bag with candies of different colors ( color as may groups i want to have) and ask them to pick a candie then i ask all the kids with the same colors to make a group.

20 Feb 2011     

carinaluc
Argentina

For pairwork, and if they are familiar with idioms, you could split pieces of paper into halves, put the halves into a bag and ask sts to pick a half each.  Then they �ll have to find the student who has the other half to complete the idiom.  They �ll be �forced � to group with other classmates and perform a revision activity to boot! 
It �s worked for me, hope you find it useful!

Carina

20 Feb 2011     

Shurik
United Kingdom

I often photocopy my worksheets on different colour paper. I mix up the colours, hand out the worksheets, and then ask my students to make groups with students who have the same colour worksheet.

Get creative and find out what works best for you and your students...

20 Feb 2011