Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Please help...Confused with synonymous verbs    

Please help...Confused with synonymous verbs

magneto
Greece

Please help...Confused with synonymous verbs

Hello everyone!

How are you? Hope you �re all doing great!

I have a couple of vocabulary questions to ask and I could really use your help. So, here goes...Take a look at these, please:

1. I left the house in a hurry and my bedroom was ...... with clothes.
a. scattered b. dispersed c. strewn d. sprinkled

According to the book, the answer is c (strewn)...Now, I can see why it isn �t b or d, but I cannot understand why it isn �t a (scattered). I �ve checked the OALD for both and couldn �t figure it out (scatter - meaning 1 and strew - meaning 1...Do you see any difference? Because even the structures in which each is used seem the same to me...)

2. We giggled at the sight of Mrs Brown ...... down the road in her six-inch stiletto heels.
a.
staggering b. reeling c. tottering d. stumbling

Again, according to the book, the answer is c (tottering)...And, again, I cannot understand why it isn �t a (staggering). Studying the definitions in the OALD (stagger - meaning 1, totter - meaning 1 and reel - meaning 1), I can even understand why it isn �t "reeling"...But why is it not "staggering"?

Could you please explain these differences to me or, at least, give me some examples of the different contexts/ collocations in which these verbs can be found?

Thank you in advance for your help!
Have a nice day/ eveningSmile

23 Feb 2011      

galloway
Australia

tottering in high heels....means someone is only just able to walk using their toes...you really know when someone is tottering....little steps, not much control, like little kids wearing mums high heels, or a geisha walking in the japanese wooden thongs.
when I think about tottering, they are trying to keep shoes on...feet are really clenched holding on shoes...
staggering is more of a leg movement rather than foot movement. I can see the difference but can �t explain it very well. Staggering has much bigger steps.

As for strewn...thats what you do with clothes when you try something on, disgard it in frustration, throw it down  and try something else on. No logic to where the clothes fall. Scatter goes with seeds, dispersing is organised, sprinkling is gentle, strewn is very messy not at all organised...like when someone breaks into your house and throws everything about.

Sorry for the long winded explaination. Hope it helps

23 Feb 2011     

magneto
Greece

It does help, actually!

Thanks for the quick reply!

The difference between totter and stagger is much clearer to me now. I �m still a bit confused about scatter and strew, though, so just to get it straight: The difference between these two is purely a difference of which words they collocate with? Because they both sound "messy" to me.

Thanks againSmile

23 Feb 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

Both of the given answers are collocations: a bedroom strewn with clothes is more common than one scattered with clothes (both are messy, but the second has slightly darker or more deliberate connotations); likewise with �tottering � on high heels, where there �s a comical association with lack of balance ( �teeter � also). I �d also say you tend to stagger under something - even if it �s only the influence of strong drink - while you tend to totter on something like stilettos or stilts.

23 Feb 2011     

magneto
Greece

Thank you, AlmazSmile

It �s all clear to me now.

Cheers!Beer

23 Feb 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Magneto,

1. I left the house in a hurry and my bedroom was ...... with clothes.
a. scattered b. dispersed c. strewn d. sprinkled

Oxford Dictionary of English, 2005.

Be scattered: occur or be found at intervals rather than all together: there are many waterfalls scattered throughout the marshlands.

Be strewn with: cover (a surface or area) with untidily scattered things: the table was strewn with books and papers.

�... my bedroom was scattered with clothes�

is the same as

�... my bedroom was found at intervals rather than all together with clothes�.  This sentence is nonsensical.

For this sentence to be grammatically correct, it would need to be:

�I left the house in a hurry and bedclothes were scattered throughout my bedroom�.

The clue is the word �with�.

1. I left the house in a hurry and my bedroom was strewn with clothes.
1. I left the house in a hurry and my bedroom was covered with untidily scattered clothes.

2. We giggled at the sight of Mrs Brown ...... down the road in her six-inch stiletto heels.
a.
staggering b. reeling c. tottering d. stumbling

Oxford Dictionary of English, 2005.

Stagger (verb): [no object] walk or move unsteadily, as if about to fall: he staggered to his feet, swaying a little.

(noun)  an unsteady walk or movement: she walked with a stagger.

Totter (verb): [no object, with adverbial] move in a feeble or unsteady way: a hunched figure tottering down the path.

(noun) : a feeble or unsteady gait.

Here, I think that the description of the movement gives us a clue.  Both descriptions say �unsteady�, but only �Totter� says �feeble�.  This suggests that the movement, (not described as a �walk� but as an �unsteady gait�), is weak and cannot really be described as a walk, in the true sense of the word.

Moreover, the phrase, �the hunched figure� suggests that the figure is not walking upright, or in a normal fashion, but is having difficulty in moving.

These descriptions are more characteristic of a woman tottering in stiletto heels, than a woman staggering from side to side.

Finally, in the Dictionary definitions, both verbs have no object, but   �Stagger� is not followed by an adverbial.  However, �Totter� is followed by an adverbial.

Both the Dictionary example for �Totter� and the Exam Question use the adverb �down�.  The appropriate word to complete the sentence is, therefore, �Totter�.

2. We giggled at the sight of Mrs Brown tottering down the road in her six-inch stiletto heels.

2. We giggled at the sight of Mrs Brown moving in a feeble or unsteady way down the road in her six-inch stiletto heels.

I hope that I have helped you.

Les

24 Feb 2011