Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Looking for the right word    

Looking for the right word

Yolandaprieto
Spain

Looking for the right word

When talking about a sponge cake, cupcakes, muffins, etc... what word would you use to mean the opposite of dry? juicy, rich, or what? the dictionary doesn �t help me.
Thanks in advance for your help
Yolanda

Why do we have problems to upload worksheets? does anybody know anything about it?

24 Feb 2011      

tulpen25
Netherlands

I would say moist.

I thought the uploading problem had been resolved.

24 Feb 2011     

suhakhader
Jordan

Hi Yolanda and all members,
I could remember when I was watching my favourite cooking"culinary art on" on TV..

The word "tender" we say: tender cake!! I �ve just made sure about it.

Hope that helps

Suha

25 Feb 2011     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

My mother-in-law was a great baker and she always used to complement herself on her cakes which were very �moist �. (I must admit, I had to agree with her.)

25 Feb 2011     

yanogator
United States

"moist" and "tender" are both words used to describe good baked goods. Use "moist" if the cake isn �t dry. Use "tender" if it has a delicate texture (The opposite is "tough"). If you mix muffin batter too long, the resulting muffins will be tough.

Bruce

25 Feb 2011     

Urpi
Peru

sorry if I am bothering you but what  exactly is the difference between muffins and cupcakes I have always wondered.
Thanks and sorry Yolanda. Iam not giving an answer, instead a question.

25 Feb 2011     

Jayho
Australia

Downunder we say it is either moist or dry. To us, �tender � used in the context of cooking refers to meat.

Urpi,  a cupcake is sweet, small and decorated with icing, frosting or sprinkled icing sugar.  A muffin, on the other hand, is larger, sweet or savoury, and undecorated (meaning no icing, frosting or icing sugar though it may have a sprinkling of poppyseeds on top)

25 Feb 2011     

libertybelle
United States

We only use tender about meat. Moist for baking.  (just like Jayho said)

25 Feb 2011     

dturner
Canada

As the name suggests"Tender Flake Pastry", it is possible to say that baked goods are tender.  We can use moist and tender, flaky for pie sheets and other pastry and moist for cakes and loaves.  dt

25 Feb 2011     

Yolandaprieto
Spain

Thanks for your help. I will never forget the word.

Yolanda

25 Feb 2011