Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > I cannot correct their mistakes :(    

I cannot correct their mistakes :(

nuritan
Turkey

I cannot correct their mistakes :(

Hi friends!
  My students can �t learn the structure of English. They think in Turkish and so make sentences according to the structure of Turkish.
 In Turkish the order of the words are :
    Subject + Object + Verb and so they make sentences like this:

" I school go" or another sentence:
    "Hansel and Gretel very happly    live "    
            S                                             V

How can I make them gain this sturcture? Do you have any experience like this? please share your opinion and advice..Thanks in advance.
                    Hugs from Turkey!

1 Mar 2011      

dawnmain
United Kingdom

A game I have done for questions that would work for you I think.

Make a set of cards for each group or pair depending how many students you have - they should make simple sentences - one word per card. Each set about 20 words.
eg I - always - eat - toast.
We - often - buy - chocolate.
etc.

Start by saying the sentences and the first team to put the cards in correct order on the table and raise their hand gets a point.

When you have done all the sentences then start a new game but this time explain that you will say the words in the wrong order and they have to put them in the correct order.

It �s simple fast and fun.

1 Mar 2011     

evgenija_kuka
Macedonia

or simply give them the basic structures as a formula and ask them to make sentence using a bank of words you supply in advance...
   S + V ----- Mary runs./ I spell./ Babies cry./ Birds fly...

S + V + O ------- Mary makes model planes./ She listens to rock music./ We like pizza.

S+ V+ Adv. ------- We live in London./ This costs a lot./ She sings happily....

I think it is important to introduce structures one at a time and spend some time practising each one. I find this method extremely useful when teaching tenses. Once they get the formula, we all make sure all words �fall � under the right caption!

1 Mar 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

The sentence generators I created help with sentence structure. You can adapt them to your needs. ed

1 Mar 2011     

moravc
Czech Republic

Other thing you may try - adapt the Turkish sentences to fit English (if possible).
Many teachers thing that L1 mustn �t be used but many slow learners NEED to compare L1 (Turkish) AND English...

Robot      j�       pizzu.                  Roboti      j�       pizzu   v   sobotu.
A robot  eats   pizza.                  Robots    eat     pizza   on  Saturday.

Robots are  eating    pizza  now.
Roboti  jsou �erouc�  pizzu  teď.
- This Czech sentence sounds funny, but it shows exacly the correct word order and the way the verbs  are "made" in English (word formation).

1 Mar 2011     

nuritan
Turkey

Thanks for your useful replies dear  dawnmain, evgenija_kuka, edrodmedina, moravc..
   At university all of our teachers said that we sholdnt give the structure while teaching tenses.But they never get the point unless I give it. So I live in dilemma ;) Anyway I will try your advice and try to teach it by playing games..Thanks ag�in friends..lots of hugs from here Thumbs Up

2 Mar 2011