Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > 2 Grammar Questions (will future and conditional)    

2 Grammar Questions (will future and conditional)

Mietz
Germany

2 Grammar Questions (will future and conditional)

I had a couple of grammar questions in my classes today, where I wasn�t sure about the answer. As it�s always enjoyable to post grammar questions here, I�ve decided to ask your opinion. :-)

1. Can I say:
I�ll promise it won�t happen again!
I actually don�t think so, because a promise is a fact, but my students insisted on that being a future. What do you think?

2. Conditionals:
Are both sentences correct?

- If you leave the gate open people get in.   AND
- If you leave the gate open people will get in.
(Thanks to silvietta for her great conditionals ws BTW. :-) )

Thank you for your help!
Mietz

11 Dec 2008      

Zora
Canada

Alrighty... let�s see what damage we can do LOL

Your first assumption is correct... USUALLY we don�t say "I�ll promise it won�t happen again".. although, I believe that I have heard it before in spoken english... when a person is in a situation and he/she wants to emphasize that she won�t ever ever do it again... hence you could say... "I�ll promise you that it will never ever happen again..."

Second - the sentences should be:

-
If you leave the gate open people COME in, enter, trespass, etc...but not "get in" .. "get in" is for like a car or insects in a place.." If you leave the window open the flies will get in..." 

- If you leave the gate open people will COME in.
(again same as above)

But anyhow, except for your choice of verb.. the sentences are indeed correct.. Tongue

11 Dec 2008     

Cassy
Brazil

Hi, Mietz.

You can say: I�ll promise it won�t happen again! (in this case you are emphasizing that IN THE FUTURE, near or not, you will make it come true.) Although I always see in book "I promise it won�t happen again" (in this case my promise is being made right now, in the present, while or after the situation happened. I say it in the present.

About the conditionals both are correct. In the first one you emphasize a "fact" and in the second one a future action which might happen.

I hope I helped a bit.
See ya
Cassy
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

11 Dec 2008     

Mietz
Germany

Thank you so much Zora - f!
The context for the "will" question is a business English context, where a customer complains and the service person says "I promise it won�t happen again." I�d probably still stick to the first version, as you can overdo the service thing - I think...

I didn�t know about the "get in". I�ll change it and tell my students, that otherwise both sentences are fine.
Have a nice rest of the evening! :-)

11 Dec 2008     

Mietz
Germany

Thanks to Cassy as well of course! Just saw that now after sending mine! :-)

11 Dec 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

Hi, all

Sorry but I can�t agree with you concerning Mietz�s sentence "I�ll promise it won�t happen again!".

11 Dec 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

I am nearly sure that verbs referring to the future can�t be used in the future form.
as promise, desire, want, hope, ...
especially when used with the first person.

11 Dec 2008     

Zora
Canada

Some forms can be used but they aren�t that common... and maybe aren�t grammatically correct either (need to find a clearer example somewhere) ... but for example, a boss to an employee could say..

"I�ll want this on my desk tomorrow ASAP.. now hop to it..."

or

A boy saying good bye to his girlfriend...

"I�ll hope that you�ll remember to write me..."

... so I think that some verbs can be used in the future but it�s not that common... and you are right about desire... I can�t find a "I will desire" sentence...

12 Dec 2008     

Apodo
Australia

As a native English speaker (Australian) I would say:

I promise it won�t happen again.   (Since you are promising NOW that it will not happen in the future.)

If you leave the gate open people get in.

If you leave the gate open people will get in.

These are both correct, but with a small difference in usage. 
The first is a general explanation of the reason for shutting the gate.
The second one acts slightly more strongly as a warning - WILL making it more definite.

13 Dec 2008