Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I have a question....    

I have a question....

chenchen_castrourdiales
Spain

I have a question....

Hi everybody,

I �ve spent the whole day marking compositions. I promise I will never leave such a pile of compositions to correct in my life. On top of that, it is the only no rewarding part of our job �cos when I hand out the corrected compositions they just spent 1 sec to put them away in their folders after only having a look at their score.
Anyway, my question deals with the verb "heal". One of my students wrote the following sentence: "The nurse healed their injuries." Is the sentence right? Because I looked up the word in the dictionary and after reading the given examples I think the sentence should be "The injuries healed completely." Can somebody heal an injury? Or we use the verb "cure" in that context. Somebody cures an injury. It may be an stupid question but I am stuck after being such a long time correcting compositions.

Thanks in advance. 

6 Mar 2011      

Mar0919
Mexico

Hello, Chenchen....!In my opinion, you are absolutely correct. Injuries heal themselves through a process of our body �s recuperation. A person "cures" injuries.

I understand how you feel after all that time spent correcting, I �ve been putting that work aside all morning, and will soon have to start!!! LOL

6 Mar 2011     

Minka
Slovenia

Sometimes I assign correction for homework. This way they look at the mistakes they make twice. Correcting compositions is ...... tiring just to think about. So I�d better not be the only one working!  

6 Mar 2011     

douglas
United States

a disease/sickness (something that continues to do damage/progresses, so to say) is cured

an injury (damage is done) is healed

7 Mar 2011