Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > The word of the day..!!!    

The word of the day..!!!

mauro78
Colombia

The word of the day..!!!

Hello!!! Fellows..
I am working with a high school and I want to work "the Word of the Day" in order to increase my student�s vocabulary. Maybe someone has had a project like that and has different ideas / games / methodology  to work this activity?.

Thanks for your help and ideas.

12 Mar 2011      

edrodmedina
United States

Hello Mauro.. hope these help

12 Mar 2011     

maryse pey�
France

why not make a train of ideas ? You give a 1st word and your students go on giving a word they think of linked (in their mind) with the previous one every time.

For example : ROPE .... parcel .... surprise ... visit ... impatience... AND SO ON

or you can start a sentence and each student gives his 2nd half.

For example : yesterday evening.... 1) I went to the cinema 2) I ate mushrooms at dinner...

Or you start with a short sentence. And each student gives a sentence, or 2, coherent enough with the previous one and the whole of the given ones to make a whole story at the end.

For example : the police is just in front of my neighbour �s door.... Oh, really ? Have you heard about something unusual ?..... I think so. Now I understand... and so on.

13 Mar 2011