Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Will or be going to to express opinions?    

Will or be going to to express opinions?

Anneclaire
Italy

Will or be going to to express opinions?

Hi! Can you please give me  a clue?
I �ve always found in grammar books that English speakers usually use WILL after the verbs of opnion (e.g. I think I will win the match).
But in some new books "BE GOING TO" is also used after think (e.g. I think it �s going to continue).
What �s the difference?
Thanks a lot for your advice!

16 Mar 2011      

xaimwadi
Turkey

to use be going to we need an evidence...for example; if the weather is cloudy we can say that it is going to rain...if we want to express a willingness we use "will" for exampe;

A: the phone is ringing.
B: i am going to answer...

i hope it is clear enough....

16 Mar 2011     

apayala
Spain

http://www.englishgrammarsecrets.com/goingtoorwill/menu.php

16 Mar 2011     

pilarmham
Spain

Going to can express intentions, things we have previously decided to do (I am going to watch TV) or predictions, if we have a clue that something is going to happen: the sky is dark and cloudy: It is going to rain).

Will deals with instant decisions (things we decide to do on the spur of the moment): I�ll close the window, when you see that someone in the room is cold. It also expresses predictions, but only when we are just guessing and have no clue whatsoever about what is coming up: Barcelona will win the World Cup.

So, you could actually use think with both:

I think it�s going to rain (if you are looking at the cloudy sky)
or
I think I�ll stay at home this evening (if you don�t want to get wet!)

I hope this helps.

Great site, Ana. Thank you!!

16 Mar 2011