Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > the rest of .... - singular or plural?    

the rest of .... - singular or plural?

jarrus
Poland

the rest of .... - singular or plural?

Hello,
Could you explain me the rules related to "the rest"? Is it plural or singular e.g. "The rest of my holidays were or was fantastic?"Thanks for help.

22 Mar 2011      

essam35
Egypt

the rest is sing. because it is  you speak about it as one unit

the rest of my holiday was so exciting only few days were horrible

22 Mar 2011     

Tim Wallace
France

the problem lies in the word "holidays" as a plural.  Compare "the rest of my holiday was fantastic" and "the rest of my holidays were fantastic".  If you use the plural, then to say "the rest of my holidays" is to say you still had, say, a quarter of your holidays left and, so, you are talking about a plural.  In that case you would be correctly using "were".  Holidays plural or holiday singular are both commonly used and so forget about the fact that "the rest of" suggests a singular.

22 Mar 2011     

moravc
Czech Republic

I am not sure about "the rest of my holidays were", but I have heard "the rest of my friends WERE (at home) " quite often, so I suppose it is possible to write "the rest of my holidays were".
It sounds ok to me.
The rest of the holiday was ok.
The rest of the film was horrible. The rest of the story was fun...

22 Mar 2011     

libertybelle
United States

I think we say-the remainder of my holiday was fantastic.

22 Mar 2011     

libertybelle
United States

I think we say-the remainder of my holiday was fantastic.

22 Mar 2011     

dturner
Canada

As soon as Tim explained, Bang!  It made sense.  Please go with his explanation.  I would have naturally said "were" because it sounds correct to my brain/ears.  However, as Tim explained, the nuance is slightly different.dt

23 Mar 2011     

yanogator
United States

Yes, Tim is right. It all depends on the word after "of".

The rest of the students were quiet.
The rest of the hotel rooms were reserved.

The rest of my sandwich was eaten by the dog.
The rest of my report was very boring.

Bruce

23 Mar 2011