Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Teaching of grammar    

Teaching of grammar

rttrr
India

Teaching of grammar

While teaching grammar I always feel that I am not able to have an involvement of students. However they respond me well learning also take place but I feel the class can be more effective.
Can any body please help me by suggesting new methods, strategies of teaching grammar.
Thanks in advance

30 Mar 2011      

nurikzhan
Kazakhstan

hello, make them work more, divide them into groups, choose the speaker, they will work themselves. you will just relax and see how it is effective. let them be in the centre , don �t be active on the lesson. if you organize well they will be perfect teachers for some activities.

30 Mar 2011     

class centre
Belarus

I use a trick to teach them grammar. I give them a  number of sentences and ask them to make a rule basing on those examples. They begin thinking, discussing etc. And... they already know the rule!  Handshake

30 Mar 2011     

essam35
Egypt

you can make your classroom more interesting using cards asking Ss to match similar sentences together or using pictures or teach them rules based on real life situation inside the class room for ex. you can teach them present perfect by asking 1 of them to go out and ask other Ss to change anything in side the classroom and when he comes back he should know what have you done also acting and minimal pairs help you alot

30 Mar 2011     

MapleLeaf
Canada

Choose grammar you �re going to teach
Decide which forms and functions are appropriate for students � level
Make an order of teaching those grammar forms
For effective teaching, identify a teaching context ( consult with native speakers or the textbook or Internet as for the context in which grammar form would be genuinely used.
While explaining, make sure the context covers all the elements the students are familiar with. For example, teaching �used to � -- the context is a) it was in the past, b) it was habitual c) it stopped
Practice the new grammar with the grammar that doesn �t require a new form. Compare.
Did he ride a bicycle in the past? Did he ride it often? Does he ride a bicycle now?

31 Mar 2011