Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning powerpoints > How to know if a file is "read only" or editable    

How to know if a file is "read only" or editable

Joannaw22
Canada

How to know if a file is "read only" or editable

Hi.  I �m pretty new here and I �m wondering about "read only" and editable files.  For example,  I �ve seen some nice Power Point presentations that have a few spelling mistakes or that have the odd word I �d like to change.  Do you just have to take the chance when downloading and hope that the file is editable?  I don �t have a lot of experience with PPT, so I �m not sure how this works.  My question also applies to worksheets, as I �ve seen members write "fully editable", so I assume some worksheets are not editable.  Any info would be most helpful!  Thanks!

2 Apr 2011      

moravc
Czech Republic

Some members export the worksheet from a different software. The worksheet consists of a single one-page picture and it is not editable.
Most members upload editable worksheets. The headlines are sometimes non-editable in order to preserve the fancy fonts.
Some wss are too big to share so the contributor selects the whole page, imports it into MS Paint and save it as a single picture.
Experienced contributors know the tips and tricks from the free Tutorials section and they resize their pictures. Or they insert one big picture (consisting of several minipictures) at the background and then copy-paste all the text on the top of the picture. The text is editable then but the pictures aren �t editable...  
The editable worksheets are considered more useful. PPT are usually fully editable because the size limit is 2 MB.

2 Apr 2011