Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > UPPER or lower case for vocabulary in worksheets and flashcards?    

UPPER or lower case for vocabulary in worksheets and flashcards?

evl422
United Kingdom

UPPER or lower case for vocabulary in worksheets and flashcards?

This is more of an observation than a criticism. I see lots of great worksheets and flashcards on here, but I have to wonder why so many people use CAPITAL LETTERS for vocabulary in worksheets or on flashcards. Other teachers I�ve spoken to have always agreed that it�s best to use lower case letters, since that�s how we would normally write the words.

I think this issue is especially important with young learners. It literally takes months to "un-train" them from writing their names in upper case letters when that�s the only way they�ve seen their names written.

14 Dec 2008      

fletsch
Canada

I do prefer lower case letters on worksheets  but for a different reason.   I find that even with my University students, many of them have problems reading a word that is written in all capital letters.  They much prefer words written in lower case letters.  Anyone else find this problem with their students...?

14 Dec 2008     

Khadooy
United Arab Emirates

Hi!

good question...

My professor puts a lot of pressure on us regarding this issue... we always say that children tend to copy what is given by teachers and this becomes a habit... so even if they write an intended word in the middle of the sentence they may use UPPER CASE so be careful ... lower case is much much better and prefered...

ONLY PROPER NOUNS should be captilized as they are always always start with capital letters...
You can simply teach kids to start their sentences with capital letters...

i remmeber that in my practicum i used upper case to teach new vocabulary, and the professor was not happy about this....

14 Dec 2008     

Logos
Malaysia

hello.  I think it�s best using Upper case letters for words that should begin with capitals. Using upper case letters for a whole worksheet is quite unnecessary. But then again what would I know, I�m mr. Logos daughter anyways. But I still think it�s best using Upper case for words that need be capitalized and lower case for words that needn�t. in fact, My opinion doesn�t really matter, I mean, I�m eleven....
But it�s still normal. Most of my friends write all the words in upper case letters.  still, half of my friends just feel comfortable using cursive writing, so that the teacher can�t find the mistakes in their essays or sentences. Rather clever aren�t they?

14 Dec 2008     

wolfy
Chile

great question, and some interesting opinions. �You�re right many flashcards use capital letters, especial if the word is not part of a sentence. �Personally I think I�ll side with the first capital letter then lower case.

15 Dec 2008     

eng789
Israel

I agree.    Words in word banks and word lists for clozes/ fill-ins should be in lower case letters unless they are proper nouns.  

15 Dec 2008