Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > HOLIDAY PROJECTS - YES OR NO?    

HOLIDAY PROJECTS - YES OR NO?

anitarobi
Croatia

HOLIDAY PROJECTS - YES OR NO?

Dear colleagues,
I was just wondering - do you give your students project assignments to do over the spring break, for instance? Or any other short kind of holiday break? Do you give them a reading assignment or a writing task, or some poster project? Any special kind of motivation rewards for that, like extra credit? For all levels, ages from 9-18.
Happy to hear all suggestions and ideas, if you �re willing to share.
This is what I �ve thought of so far:
With the elementary kids, I was thinking of having them make their own spring pictionary - interesting activities, pictures of spring details etc. all with pics and words on posters, or even a short picture story they would make as a poster. Next, I have a group of computer-skilled teenagers and I was planning to give them a ppt making task - to prepare a ppt about any place in the world they find interesting and would like to visit. I �ve tried this before and it works. I would love to give my FCE groups some interesting reading assignments or writing assignments to do over the 10-day spring break, but I �ve sort of run out of ideas - we usually have lots of creative writing in class, so I �m on the hunt for fresh ideas. I was thinking maybe some online reading adventure which would be interesting and their level at the same time.
I �d love to get your ideas on this. I rarely give spring break assignments, but I somehow feel this would be a good spring to start. What do you think about it?
Thanks
Anita

15 Apr 2011      

libertybelle
United States

It all depends - because - what do you do if the students are going on vacation with their families and can �t do the homework?  A Spring break is a break from school. It �s not always possible to give them homework.
I think we have to respect family time too.

16 Apr 2011     

dturner
Canada

A few years ago I gave my students their journal book to take home and gave them a prompt to respond to every week or so (summer holidays), and guess what???? Only my best student did the work.  This was a good lesson for me.  Seldom do students do homework that is not required even though they know it would help them.  I guess the analogy would be like tasting awful tasting medicine because you think/know it might help you.  dt

16 Apr 2011     

Zora
Canada

Hi Anita!

I �d have to agree with Lisa and dturner on this. Also, because I teach privately and my centre offers more than just English (we do Math, Language, etc, too). I see that kids are often loaded down with  extra activities to do during Spring break by well-meaning teachers. Books to be read, stories to be written, Math exercises to be done, English activities, etc. All the stuff together often seems like they are still at school even though they are on holidays...

I think that a "break" should be just that. A time for them to "get away from it all". A holiday should be a holiday, not a time when "homework" is assigned.

But that �s just me. I like my holidays with no work in sight!! LOL 

16 Apr 2011     

GIOVANNI
Canada

I would also have to agree with Lisa, Linda and dturner.  I think we should respect family time. Students are on holiday and it should be just that.  I  wouldn �t want to take work with me when I am on holiday.  I don �t think students or their family would like to pack school material if they leave for a vacation. Each one of us may have a different opinion on this, but this is how I personally feel.

16 Apr 2011     

elsnert
Russian Federation

I agree with you, colleagues. Holiday is holiday. Let our students give a chance to rest!!!

16 Apr 2011     

giovannademartin
Brazil

Here we consider it "family time"... and God knows they need it!

16 Apr 2011     

mariec
Spain

I don�t believe in giving my students tasks to do during holidays, which means fun, rest, and being with family, I wouldn�t like to get work to do while I�m supposed to be on holidays

16 Apr 2011     

MarionG
Netherlands

On the one hand I agree with those saying there shouldn �t be any homework for the holidays, but....
In the end I gave a little. (we already started our break of almost three weeks)
My fourth graders got a little booklet with 7 worksheets, mainly �fun � things such as a crossword or a drawing page. They just started English and I don �t want them to forget  what they learned, including the letters! It is also a good way to show parents what they �ve been learning so far.
My fifth graders have to choose a song in English they like. They need to either translate the lyrics or write in their mother tongue what they think the song is about. This mainly just forces them to be a little more aware of the English around them.
My 6th graders will have a silly spelling bee. "Silly" because it contains only very basic words which they should know how to spell by now anyway.. (cat, yesterday, mother etc.). The school ended two days after the big ministry of education spelling bee so this is a kind of parody of that...

16 Apr 2011     

ellakass
Israel

In my school the teachers MUST give the task to the pupils. I use my site with many games and exercises and especially the tasks in EnglishExercises.org
The pupils like to use a computer so I usually have no problems to check their ex-s after the holidays.

16 Apr 2011     

anitarobi
Croatia

thanks for sharing - I really appreciate your input!

16 Apr 2011