Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Problem 1: can    

Problem 1: can

goodnesses
Algeria

Problem 1: can

Ok, guys I need your valuable help about the following problem.

Can we use "can" in conditional sentences type 0 as in type 1?

To be clear,

1 - can we consider the following sentence as type 0:

If/when the pupils don�t  listen carefully to their teacher, they cannot understand the lesson.

as we can say

If/When the pupils don�t listen carefully to their teacher, they don�t understand the lesson.

--> not listening = certainly not understanding

2 - Can we consider this one as type 1 (I think there is no doubt about it):

If the pupils listen carefully to their teacher, they will/may/can understand the lesson

--> listening = possibility of understanding

In other words does "can" in N� 1 have the same meaning as in N� 2?

Waiting for feedback.

Thanks All

25 Sep 2008      

marta73
Spain

For some reason I cannot yet explain ( it�s 2.30 a.m. my brain is quite thick now), that sentence sounds a bit awkward to me ( but I�m not a native).I would tend to say "If the pupils don�t listen carefully, they won�t be able to understand" to express a probability and not a universal truth with type  0 conditional. I�ll think about it tomorrow.

25 Sep 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

I see your brain is really thick (you posted the same message twice)
Take your time.
You are welcome to give your feedback at any time the discussion is open.

Thanks Marta.

25 Sep 2008     

Zora
Canada

Using "can" would change the sentence into a 1� Conditional because technically it�s form is like a "modal" verb... and these confusions are probably why some grammar books consider that the 0 Conditional doesn�t really exist and tend to group it with the First. (

The 0 conditional form is always (no exceptions.. usually .. Wink) - If + present tense + present tense

If you mix blue and red, you get pink.
If you have a headache, go to bed.

And the answer to your question is no. The modals in the second part will affect the meaning of the sentence.

If the pupils listen carefully to their teacher, they will understand the lesson
- means that if they are listening to the lesson they will most assuredly understand it.

If the pupils listen carefully to their teacher, they may understand the lesson
- means that if they are listening, then there is a good chance that they will understand it.

If the pupils listen carefully to their teacher, they can understand the lesson.
- is very forced and while grammatically correct, it seems to be missing some information. It would be better to say for example: "If the pupils listen carefully to their teacher, they can understand the lesson without taking notes."

25 Sep 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

Hi, Zora.
I can�t disagree with you about most of your opinion.

My last question to be more clear should have been:
Does "can(not)" in N� 1 have the same meaning as "can" in N� 2?
thanks for yur valuable reply Zora

25 Sep 2008     

Zora
Canada

Yes, they both mean basically the same thing. I misunderstood the question obviously... LOL 

25 Sep 2008