Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Phonics    

Phonics

SaraMariam
United States

Phonics

Hello my dear colleagues
I �m turning to you today with a question about phonics. It looks like that I will start working at a new school the coming year, teaching children between 2 and 7. The director of the school asked me to do phonics with them and I found many resources on google and even here, but I �m totally lost. So I would like to ask you which of all that programs, worksheets, books, methods are your favourite ones and that you would recommend?

Hugs
Sara

1 May 2011      

boydegg
Thailand

Hi Sara

Like you, a few years ago I suddenly found myself teaching phonics to young kids - with no prior experience.

The resource I was given was called Jolly Phonics, and the kids responded well to it.

I �d recommend only 10-15 minutes of phonics work per lesson. I used to do the phonics at the beginning of the lesson, and the children quickly became accustomed to this routine. I combined it with hand writing practice.

I introduced 2 or 3 new sounds per lesson. We would clap out a rhythm and do a chant for each sound. As an example:

�a � ... says �ah � ... like �ant � .... like �ant �
�a � ... says �ah � ....  �ah � ....  �ah �

After a few lessons we would combine the chants, so �a � would be followed by several other sounds.

We �d also brainstorm words that the students knew beginning with that sound.

Jolly phonics also uses a series of mimes for each sound, which the children loved doing.

I �d also recommend doing a lot of review work. Revisit sounds from previous lessons.

There were lots of simple phonics games we played as well, and if you �re interested I can describe a few for you.

Brian

1 May 2011     

SaraMariam
United States

Hi Brian,

thanks so much for your advice. It would be great to hear some of the games you played. Which age group do you think would be good to teach phonics to? The director here told me they want to do it as soon as possible, but age 3 sounds a bit too young for me to be honest, but then again I have no idea whatsoever on how to teach phonics.

Sara

1 May 2011     

boydegg
Thailand

Hi Sara

I think it �s fine to teach phonics to very young kids - after all, it �s only making them aware of the sounds letters make. If the activities are fun, the kids will respond.

My students responded well to an activity where they had letter cards and picture cards. So maybe they �d have a, t, p, e and s  ... and picture cards of an apple, a tiger, a pencil, an egg and the sun.

These can be used in so many ways ... matching games, pellminism, snap, guessing games. Just add more letters and pictures as they become more confident.

Another game is for each child to have 3-5 letter cards (the same set for everyone). The teacher says a word and the students hold up the letter which makes the beginning sound of that word. You can do the same thing to practise the 5 vowel sounds. Give them a, e, i, o and u ... then call out words such as hat, ten, sun, hot, sit ... and the students hold up the vowel that belongs in that word.

Lots of the games can be played with students responding to the teacher first, and then in pairs or small groups once they �ve got the hang of it.

In jolly phonics, the sounds are introuced in groups. Group 1 contains: s, a, t, i, p, n

Once the students know these six sounds, there are many simple words that can be sounded out. So you could give pairs of students a set of the six letters ... then call out words and see who can arrange their cards to spell them

"pat" p-a-t
"sit" s-i-t
"ant" a-n-t  etc etc

Another very simple game - can be used as a fun finish to a lesson - the teacher writes a letter on the board and students raise their hand if they can say a word that begins with that sound. Allow 4 or 5 kids to answer, then change the letter ... and so on and so on.

Once you get started, you �ll find you think up all kinds of fun ways to practice letter sounds. Games, simple songs or tongue twisters, mime, chanting, brainstorming ...

... honestly, don �t be daunted by it. Just introduce 2 sounds per lesson to begin with, review the previously taught sounds each time (I really recommend lots of review - what seems simple to us, can be tough for young kids), keep it fairly short ... and the students will soon get the hang of that portion of the lesson.

There �s an activity pack on my site for the Dr. Seuss book �Green Eggs and Ham �. I made this to use with some students I �d been doing phonics with for three terms. They couldn �t understand it 100%, but they loved it. The book has only 50 words in it (maybe less?) and lots of rhyme and repetition. Perfect for lower levels. Here �s the link:

And here �s a board game I made to support my phonics activities. I used it as an end-of-term treat and the students went nuts for it.

Best of luck!

Brian

1 May 2011     

SaraMariam
United States

Brian, I really thank you so much for the time and patience you spent answering me. It really helps me a lot. I really appriciate your advice!!

Thanks a million for all!
Sara

1 May 2011     

Fabiola Salinas
Argentina

Hi sara!!! I �m also working with Phonics, and just loke Brian... I follow Jolly Phonics approach. He has already explained & share what he does; however, I would like to add some tips which have worked with me!
- There are plenty of approaches to PHONICS... stick to one, otherwise, you �ll become crazy about it!!!
- The training with sts should be gradual & systematic. I mean, introduce one (two....) sounds regularly and always review the previous ones.
- Use plenty of visual material & audio material as well. Jolly Phonics has many things in the net free to download. Just google it and try out.
- To round up, remember it should be presented as a game-like activity with which sts can enjoy themselves & learn at the same time.

Best of luck! Start reading & trying out material and sure you will do great!
Lv, Fabiola

2 May 2011     

moravc
Czech Republic

Hi Sara,
There are several members who upload Phonics worksheets regularly.
Our Japanese member David Lisgo has a large collection of printables, minibooks, rhymes etc, full of pictures - see more worksheets by David Lisgo

Good luck!

2 May 2011     

boydegg
Thailand

Hi Sara

Moravc alerted me that this link wasn �t working:

I �ve fixed it now.

Brian :)

2 May 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

Hello. I have a question about your group Sara. Do they know the alphabet? That may be a starting point. If you need to teach them the alphabet I recently shared a PPT with other colleagues here that might be of help. It is too large for this site but I sent it via e-mail. PM me to let me know if you need it. Ed

2 May 2011