Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Problem 2: Should    

Problem 2: Should

goodnesses
Algeria

Problem 2: Should

Hi, all
It�s me again with another problem for you.

Is there a possibility (even the least) to use the modal verb "should" in a conditional sentence?

If
yes, how and what could such sentence mean? Can you give some examples?
If no, why?

It would be great if you can give some references.

Waiting for a lot of feedback.

Thanks all

25 Sep 2008      

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hello, Goodness
I like these challenges and it seems to me that you are "addicted " Wink
If you know the answer, you shouldn�t ask.
Now, this is not an answer, but, for sure, some  more logs to light the fire.
Keep on sending them, I find them quite .... ?????..... I don�t know what to call them but you certainly have a special feeling, for special grammar situations.
Tell me, My blue sentence, is it correct?
I am waiting for your opinion.
It�s late, see you tomorrow
Hugs
Portugal

25 Sep 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

Believe this time I am really confused.

For your blue sentence I am very tempted to say it is correct but I am afraid my friend who is my teacher and a member of this forum will give me a good thrashing. So, I prefer not saying anything and wait for more feedback.

25 Sep 2008     

Ayaniw
Algeria

Hi! Bob.
According to Thompson and Martinet we can use the modal auxiliary "SHOULD" is the following:
I quote:

a.

"if + present + must, should or any expression of command, request or advice

If you want to lose weight you must/should eat less bread.

If you want to lose weight you had better eat less bread.

If you want to lose weight eat less bread. If you see Tom tomorrow

could you ask him to ring me? "

b.

"if + should can be used in type 1 to indicate that the action, though possible, is not very likely. It is usually combined with an imperative and is chiefly used in written instructions:

If you should have any difficulty in getting spare parts ring this number.

If these biscuits should arrive in a damaged condition please inform the factory at once."

N.B. Should is used in the If clause itself,  not in the main clause.

25 Sep 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

Now that my teacher spoke I can (i suppose) tell you Olindalima ( F ) that your blue sentence should now become green because it is correct.

Oooof H.A. now I can relax since in a way or another "should" can be used in conditional sentence I don�t have to retract in front of my PP.

I recognize I told them that "should" can be used in conditional type 2 (and 3) just by intuition (maybe I heard this one day "20 years ago" when at uni.) and somehow in a hurry. Thank God no one of them asked for an example because sincerely I wouldn�t have been able to do so as explained in the reference you gave H.A. I would have never thought of that.
That is to say intuition and improvisation are not good in teaching and should be avoided as far as possible.

However I am sure there may be more to say about it.
So still waiting for feedback with other ideas and other references.

25 Sep 2008     

brahmam
India

Dear Goodnesses,

What about this sentence?

Should you have any problem, you can ask me. (If you have any problem you can ask me.)

Let us see what others say.

25 Sep 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

Yes brahmam
According to the reference given by Ayzman2 (I agree that Thompson and Martinet aren�t the least reference) your sentence is also correct.
In this example "should is in the condition (if) clause. And the sentence is type 1.

I agree with you Brahmam let�s have as much feedback as possible.

25 Sep 2008     

marta73
Spain

Yes, Brahman, you can use that inversion type "should", or in the usual position:

If you should have any problem, you can ask me.

I gather it is quite formal and it means " if by any chance (improbable,it seems) you have any problem..."

25 Sep 2008     

Ayaniw
Algeria

Thank you Brahman for your answer. You are absolutely right and I also agree with martha73
but I would say your sentence this way:
If you should have any problem don�t bother to ask me.
and the inversion would be: Should you have any problem don�t bother to ask me.
The use of should in the If clause itself is followed by an imperative. (This is usually used in formal written instructions.)

25 Sep 2008     

brahmam
India

Hi, goodnesses and marta,

I think this is the only way we can use �should� as part of a subordinate clause in a conditional sentence.

If I should see him, I will tell him what I think.

This construction is usually used to refer to events that may occur by chance.

25 Sep 2008     

brahmam
India

Goodnesses,

I like these challenges too. Keep posting if there is any. I am very interested.

Thank you very much for this.

25 Sep 2008     

1    2    3    Next >