Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > How to teach a group of ados    

How to teach a group of ados

cathykilduff
France

How to teach a group of ados

HELP!!!!!

I teach groups of kids in France and up to recently my lessons have been going really well. I have started a new group of ado�s, kids from 12 to 15 years old.
I can �t find anything to get them interested in learning English. The only 2 things they like are quizzes and listening to music and filling in the blanks on the lyrics....
I have tried hangman, charades, Chinese whispers, taboo, truth or dare and guessing games.
Has anyone got any ideas?
Thanks in advance,

Thanks to eslprintables I love your site.

Cathy

3 May 2011      

sandytita
Portugal

Hello,
I have been teaching very complicated students who are not interested in learning anything. To motivate them I have been using powerpoints, crosswords and wordsearch, matching words with images, songs, films the watch and then they do a handout with multiple choise, flashcards, bingos,... and I have had lots of succeed. There is a lot here and I have got a lot more, but the size is too big to send to ESL.
I hope I helped you.

3 May 2011     

moravc
Czech Republic

http://marisaconstantinides.edublogs.org/2011/03/15/getting-teens-to-keep-talking/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MarisaConstantinides-TeflMatters+%28Marisa+Constantinides+-+TEFL+Matters%29
... I found these suggestions quite interesting

3 May 2011     

maroemma
Greece

As a change, put them in the role of the "leader" for let �s say about once a month. Ask them to pre-plan the lesson and bring in their own material , even in their own language , which they would like to see in English. Put them in groups and ask them to vote for the best suggestion and proceed from there. They could just even translate the menu of a famous French restaurant and then pretend they went there and ordered. Or bring in a recipe and translate it in English and pretend to be cooks. Or if you choose a song, pretend that you went to a club later on and ordered drinks or asked somebody to dance with.I think miming and dramatising always motivates students because they want to be involved in realistic situations. They are going to get very noisy...but trust me , this noise means that they are becoming very enthusiastic. Soon they �ll ask for more - Maria

3 May 2011     

cathykilduff
France

Thanks everyone. You have all given me some really good ideas. I �m going to start with getting them to write their own role-plays.
Thank you very much.
Cathy

4 May 2011