Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > About stolen worksheets    

About stolen worksheets

ichacantero
Honduras

About stolen worksheets

Hi everyone.

It took me some time to be able to write this, and I hope it�s not taken the wrong way...

Today I was reading the posts, as I�ve been doing for some days in a row and what I�ve found is that most of the posts are about stolen material... what�s worst, these are the topics with more replies. It�s so disappointing that sometimes interesting topics get lost because the stolen material topics overwhelm them. I do understand that it IS a horrible thing and that we should report these cheats, but I feel that we give to much importance to this issue.

Even though the topics in the current forum are separate, they are almost mostly about stolesn worksheets, so I�d like to suggest (this is if Victor thinks it�s a good idea, and doable) that there is a separate forum for stolen material... I�d also like to add that there are some things I really miss about the former forum, and it�s the "latest topics" "hot topics" and the possibility of searching by date. I know it�s a lot to ask, but I�d like Victor to consider adding these or similar features little by little.

Thanks for reading :)

Icha

15 Dec 2008      

Vickiii
New Zealand

Hi Icha,
I agree with you completely.  It seems that some people would prefer to post messages on the forum relentlessly on this topic.  I think they are actually reinforcing the behaviour.  It is like telling a child repeatidly to stop rocking on their chair.  all of a sudden the whole class are all leaning back on their chair hoping to catch your attention!

My favourite analogy - WHAT EVER YOU DO, DON�T THINK ABOUT A POLAR BEAR.

How many of you are now thinking about a polar bear when before I told you not to - you would never have considered it???

Paradox and human behaviour - such an interesting topic.

Oi! I told you not to think about polar bears! 

LOL

15 Dec 2008     

eng789
Israel

Vickiii,  what a great picture. 

People should stop trying to fight windmills.  

I would complain if some took my ws and submitted under their name,  but how can you stop someone from taking your vocabulary list, throwing it into a wordsearch maker and adding a nice border.

A couple of years ago I made a Comparative/Superlative ws.  While I was going through some members� wss, I gave a double take.  Someone had used the exact clipart of 3 men that I had used in mine and asked the same questions.  If I had sent mine in, everyone would have shouted, COPY.

I have a question,  if I used different parts of different members� wss to make a test, which I think came out very nice,  and sent it in,  would it be considered a copy?????????????

15 Dec 2008     

wolfy
Chile

To quote Terry Pratchett " If there was some cave somewhere in the world with a big red button and a sign in it saying "End of the world switrch, Do not press" the paint wouldn�t even have time to dry"

15 Dec 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Hi Eng,

Some people would say yes but I don�t think so - the whole stolen thing goes to far sometimes - we should use each others work to inspire ourselves.  I saw Frenchies santa game and thought it was perfect for my rudolph unit - so I made a game that was nearly identical with different grammar and vocabulary questions - stolen - I don�t think so - inspired - absolutely! 

If you are worried just ask the author and then place the link on the information section so that people can get the originals to support the material.  I didn�t ask FrenchFrog - but no one accused me of stealing...

15 Dec 2008     

ichacantero
Honduras

I do hate it when people steal, and not specially if they steal from me, in fact, I get angrier when they steal from someone else, since I feel for that person. I don�t think we should stop reporting and trying to stop cheats, I just think it should be done differently, because in my case, I benefit much more from ideas and suggestions from other teachers, than from theft reports.

I don�t think it�s stealing when you use other people�s ideas, but you have to make plenty of change, more than half for it to be called original.. I�d say at least 80% of it has to be modified. That is, if you keep some of the clipart, you must change the content (BTW... I think you must always change the text, like said before, it should serve as an inspiration... not a copy;)) But, I�d play it safe.. make your own from scratch, even if it�s inspired by others. Many members have been inspired by french-frog�s and vanda�s worksheets, and I admire that they�ve done their own versions of vanda�s and frenchfrog�s designs... I�ve even seen many of picture dictionaries using the same idea I use... and I�m glad to have inspired those people. If I didn�t want my designs to inspire others to make similar ones, I wouldn�t have uploaded them in this public website. So, like I�ve said in the past... stealing is horrible and I will also fight for it to end... but not at the cost of not being able to learn about other teachers experiences because their voices can�t be heard though all the noise made by and about theft.

Thanks for your replies!!

15 Dec 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Hey wolfy - very appropriate!  Terry Pratchet is an awesome author.

HAve you ever touched a red element to see if it really was hot?  you know those ones covered with glass?  They just look like someone has turned a light on underneath some glass... You wouldn�t really know it was hot unless you touched it!

15 Dec 2008     

victor
Spain

Hi Icha,

I agree with all your suggestions, and I�ll follow them as soon as possible.
The only problem is that my "pending tasks list" is too large...

15 Dec 2008     

ichacantero
Honduras

Wow, you�re fast Big smile Thank you!! Thumbs Up

15 Dec 2008     

victor
Spain

I feel inspired today.LOL

Just one thing left: a separate forum for stolen reports.

15 Dec 2008     

anaisabel001
Spain

I really agree with you. I�ve only been on this site for a few weeks and I  find it very, very interesting but I must tell you that I feel a bit confused about all the comments about "stolen worksheets. 

16 Dec 2008