Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > "Since" and "present simple"?    

"Since" and "present simple"?

banska bystrica
Slovakia

"Since" and "present simple"?

Hello everybody,

is there anyone, who would be so kind to explain to me, whether it is possible to use "since" with present simple? As far as I know, "since" goes with "present perfect", but I keep on noticing using it with present simple, too... For example: "Since 2008 the motto of such meetings is....." or "It is only five years since the establishment of the group..."

Thank you in advance,

greetings from Slovakia -  the ice-hockey country Wink

zuzana

5 May 2011      

R�(zinha)
Brazil

Dear zuzana,

I would like to help you. When a student asks me a question I usually ask him or her to contextualize what he/she wants to say. I believe that when we understand the student �s question is easier to guide them in the right direction.
So, in your case, what do you have in mind?

Good luck and be happy!

R� (zinha)Wink

5 May 2011     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

Dear Zuzana,

I believe you should clear it up by explaining:

SINCE as a TIME ADVERB
, which goes with the PRESENT PERFECT most often, but it �s possible with other tenses too:

He has been here since 8 o �clock / Since he joined the army, he has never been the same.

It �s her best work since "Traffic".

It �s a long time since I left school. (though I believe this is better with "It �s been a long time").

SINCE as a SUBORDINATING CONJUNCTION:

Since you �re here, let �s start the class.

We won �t be able to play Monopoly, since we don �t have any dice.

5 May 2011     

banska bystrica
Slovakia

Hello girls,

those sentences are not mine, they are from a magazine, and since is used as a time adverb there... very similar to those two sentences that you used, Bruna.. Thank you. BTW, do you know the rule, when you can use it with present simple?? That is the case which is making me confused. Confused I need to explain that to my students, but I have not come across any rules regarding this usage of "since"...

THANK YOU.

Bye-bye

5 May 2011