Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Struggling students    

Struggling students

spinney
United Kingdom

Struggling students

I have had a student for 4 years now doing one-on-one classes. Sometimes other people get her because of changing timetables and whatnot but she always insists on classes with me and it is pretty much a nightmare. After 4 years she still asks me "Why does? Why not is?" every now and again when we practice short form answers. I have taught her the same things over and over again and it �s true that she can understand me most of the time but she still struggles to speak or at least make a noise that sounds similar to English. Does anyone have any speaking activities that last for an hour and don �t invoke suicidal tendencies in the teacher? I have her again tomorrow. I �ve been teaching for 14 years now and she really is my Mount Everest. Sometimes I make progress during a class and I feel on top of the world. But often as not, it �s all forgotten by the next class. Heeeeeelllllllllpppp!

8 May 2011      

efty charle
Cyprus

If I were you I �d use flashcards with her and stick to one thing for an hour. Use flashcards and ask her to make simple sentences using one grammatical aspect like the present continuous or the past simple, etc.

Do one thing every time!

Always give her examples and ask her to repeat after you watching your lips. Give her a CD to listen to some English at home, too. Homework must always be given for further practice.

The next lesson again revise for fifteen minutes before moving on.

This girl has some learning difficulties (as it sounds to me) and only with repetition and lots of practice, she can make progress 

8 May 2011     

spinney
United Kingdom

Oh, she has learning difficulties alright but I think it �s more to do with the fact that some people just can �t learn languages. I wouldn �t dare tell her this of course as my boss would kill me. Anyway, sound advice there. I �ve tried the flashcard thing before and she gets bored after about 15 minutes and then it �s hard to get her attention. But you �re right. Revision, revision, revision! Thanks again!

8 May 2011     

mariec
Spain

I don�t know if this will help, I love making all sorts of greeting cards ( it�s one of my hobbies) I�ve got some of my students involved especially the one to one students.

Since they are working with their hands, it makes the class more interesting.
You give instructions, ask their opinion,etc. There�s always someone in their family who has a birthday, getting married, a birth ...

I hope this helps, Good Luck

8 May 2011     

spinney
United Kingdom

Actually, this might work. It could be a useful question and answer session with an end goal. I �ve used business cards with her before and got reasonable results but a greeting card angle might produce a slightly different outcome. Thanks!

8 May 2011