Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > How can I get my students entertained?    

How can I get my students entertained?

chenchen_castrourdiales
Spain

How can I get my students entertained?

Hi everybody,

My students are sitting their high school examinations and they are so tired of studying that it gets difficult for me to get them entertained while learning in class. Little by little I am changing my way of teaching thanks to the worksheets and ideas I gather from this forum. Today I have taught them conditional sentences using a clip from a video and a song. They were surprised and thanked me for the effort. It was really rewarding for me to see their happy faces, particularly today. How do you teach passive and causative sentences in a funny way? On the other hand I have decided to teach my 9 years old students the present perfect tense instead of relative clauses as my boss ordered me since I find it pretty difficult for them to understand how relative clauses work. I have already explained to them 2 contexts in which the tense is used and they have understood them pretty well. However, I would like to know a funny way or game to make them fix the tense.

Thanks in advance.

9 May 2011      

efty charle
Cyprus

1) Ask them to make a list in pairs or groups with the things they�ve already done today and the things they haven�t done yet.

TODAY
take the dog for a walk (yes)
do the washing-up (x)
call my friend (x)
etc.

a) I have already taken the dog for a walk
b) I haven �t done my homework yet. etc.

2) Then, ask them to prepare a questionnaire and ask their classmates questions and make a survey. They can present the results in the classroom. Allow them to move around and ask questions. They can use pencils as microphones :)

a) Have you ever eaten sushi?
b) Have you ever been to the UK?

10 May 2011     

dawnmain
United Kingdom

Ive been teaching my kids present perfect too.
We did a chain asking and answering eg. Have you drunk milk today? Have you eaten fruit today? Have you studied Maths today? 
I also asked them outrageous things like have you ever kissed a girl, drank whisky, climbed at mountain to make them laugh a bit.   I gave them present perfect find someone bingo which I have just uploaded.  And we did mime - I divide them into teams, take turns to mime a present perfect sentence I give them in one minute for 2 points.  you could also do pictionary . get them to draw a sentence. 
my objective is always to get them speaking.

10 May 2011