Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Skills    

Skills

D@N! P
Brazil

Skills

Hello Dear Teachers.

I �m reading a text about Language and Language Learning and I am a little confuse.
The text says:

The ELA framework:
* Incoporates viewing and representing as language arts, in addition to listening, speaking, reading and writing.

Can you explian me what viewing and representing means? How can I work them in the classroom? Can you give me examples?

Thanks

12 May 2011      

sirhaj
Malaysia

Viewing means merely seeing, noticing,because seeing is a part of communicative and authentic skills ( rather slightly passive compared to the 4 skills), in real life, we listen as we see, ( the people who are talking to use, the direction they are referring to etc) we read as we see (pictures etc). Seeing is one of our senses which further enhances our language skills.

Represeting ( i think its representing, isn �t it?), is the meaning and significance a particular object, people represent which could not be directly and explicitly attained through from language skills but we are able to interpret it ( representation of something can only be detected if the interpretation is made), such as paralinguistic features, non-verbal cues, posture, signal. We understand that something is saying goodbye to us when they wave their hands at us, we understand somebody �s message as he/she physically demonstrates the object he/she is referring, we understand someone is upset from her facial expression. This increases our communicative competence.

I hope that helps,

Sincerely,
Sirhajwan

12 May 2011     

D@N! P
Brazil

Of course it helps, Sirhajwan. It has become, somehow, a bit clear now.
Of course, I would like more teachers to share their knowledge and help me more.
Thank you for your help.

P.s.: Sorry. I really typed representing wrong.

12 May 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear D@N! P,

Try these sites,

I hope that this helps.

Les

12 May 2011