Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > WOD winner    

WOD winner

teresasimoes
Portugal

WOD winner

Mar0919 is the winner.
My decision was based on creativity and mind association.

The actual meaning of the word floccinaucinihilipilification is: the act or habit of describing or considering things as useless.

30 May 2011      

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

It is possible, by clever use of Discourse Analysis; Lyall�s 25 Languages of Europe; and a book of 8-figure Naperian logarithms; to solve the puzzle of this word, �floccinaucinihilipilification�, in a matter of moments.

My first clues were some chance remarks which I overheard at a Magic Convention.

�Why do Magician�s wives like Tropical Fish as pets?  Because Fish can�t do Card Tricks!�

ï¿½Why did they put 200 Magicians at the bottom of the ocean?  Someone heard that they were really good people � deep down!�

ï¿½Did you hear about the Lady Magicienne who produced a Rabbit?  The Midwife fainted�.

Armed with this crucial knowledge, I began dissecting the word �Flocci nauci .. etc�.

Flocci = Flokki, Finnish = �balls of wool used for bedding�.  Nauci = gnocci, Italian = �dumplings�.  Nihil = Latin = ï¿½nothing�.  I = Early Anglo-Saxon = ï¿½eye�.  Pil = Dutch = ï¿½the Pill�.  I = Late Anglo-Saxon = ï¿½a second eye�.  Fication = French = ï¿½making or causing�.

�If you think that balls of wool are contraceptive pills, which prevent �little dumplings�, you should get both eyes tested!�

Les

30 May 2011     

maryse pey�
France

Les, you are the best !

30 May 2011     

teresasimoes
Portugal

Thank you, Les, for your funny brainstorming.
Words are magic indeed...

30 May 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Hi, Teresa! Thank you for choosing my daffynition.... will post new word in 2 minutes!!!

31 May 2011