Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Murder your teacher    

Murder your teacher

rotkappe
Germany

Murder your teacher

I have just checked all wss and saw the title MURDER YOUR TEACHER.
How can a teacher give such material to his/her pupils?  14 people have already downloaded it. I am sad and disappointed. Please remove this ws a fast as you can.

15 Jun 2011      

nmlkr
Morocco

I share your opinion Susanna. It �s really shameful. 

15 Jun 2011     

Jayho
Australia

Believe it or not, Onestop English (operated by MacMillan) has something similar called Murder in the Classroom where a teacher has been murdered. 

These types of activities sometimes make one wonder ...

15 Jun 2011     

Redbull
Thailand

I wonder what REDBULL GIVES YOU WINGS YOU KNOWWink. thinks about this....?

This was one of my students last week!

15 Jun 2011     

Fernando Damour
Indonesia

Totally inappropriate to have this kind of ws..

15 Jun 2011     

Jayho
Australia

But it wasn�t you RB, was it.  You still have your wings.

15 Jun 2011     

Redbull
Thailand

@ Jayho WinkBig smile.

15 Jun 2011     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

I can only imagine HOW BORING can an all politically correct class be!

I said in the Abuse page and gonna mention it in here, had this worksheet been about killing the cranky old lady next door, I �m almost sure no one would notice it. I believe the problem was choosing the teacher as the duck.

Moreover, SEVERAL studies show that the more provocative, shocking and even obscene the approach of teaching is, the better results it gets. You may not agree/like/take this kind of approach, but who are we to decide what is SUITABLE or not?

Does the activity promote English speaking? Does it contain a lesson plan? That �s all we are ALLOWED to judge as an ESL-resource. Other than that, download if you like, or DON �T.

I downloaded the activity and I AM SO SURE that my students are going to have a BLAST in class when I use it! And I �m also sure they might be more excited than usual!!! LOL

If you played with guns when you were a kid and didn �t become a murderer, you probably know what I mean. If you do role-plays in class about shocking matters you�re only teasing your students into getting more involved, and that, in my opinion, is what makes good teachers.

For those who only "play by the rules", I guess you might be just as good. Your students are the ones to tell.

PS: I agree this is NOT meant for kids, but... is this a a website for minors-only material?

15 Jun 2011     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Wow... this is much ado about nothing. We are not censors and the activity may be great laugh for adult sts. I probably wouldn �t use it, but a couple of weeks ago me and my 9th Graders spent three lessons by doing an activity from Project 3 by Oxford University Press. It was called "Who killed John Ross?" and we also performed it. It was something new and I couldn �t see nothing wrong with this ws too.

If you feel sad, disappointed, shocked...just don �t use it. This site is being used by teachers who have also adult sts and they could use it. A tolerance is the word. Wink

15 Jun 2011     

candespi
Argentina

Couldn �t  agree more with Bruna Dutra! I also downloaded it, great idea!

15 Jun 2011     

Jayho
Australia

This is a sensitive issue and we all need to remember that there are two sides to every story.  Only you as the teacher can decide whether to download these kinds of WSs or not.  Only you as the teacher knows what is appropriate in your classroom/educational institution/country.  There are a number of factors involved, and yes, being politically correct is actually one of them. 

For instance, international and professional students who pay big bucks for their tuitition (like where I work)  do actually lodge complaints about inappropriate activities and so, something like this which is not politically correct is just not done. 

Furthermore, would you do that activity if someone in your class had experienced the loss of a family member through murder?  Would you do it if you worked in a place where a teacher had been seriously assaulted or killed?  This does happen you know - sad but true.  You just have to think of Columbine where 12 students and 1 teacher were killed plus many others injured.  Would Columbine teachers now do this kind of activity with their ESL classes?  Did they do this kind of activity with the killers?

So, please don�t judge what is ok because only you know what is right for you in your current situation and your situation might be completely different to others.

Cheers

Jayho

15 Jun 2011     

1    2    Next >