Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Day (20.06.2011)    

Word of the Day (20.06.2011)

Zora
Canada

Word of the Day (20.06.2011)

First, I have to thank Les for picking my daffy-nition. I am very honoured to carry on today �s game with a new and rather obscure word... which is... *drum rolls*

lambrequin

As always, no dictionary definitions please.

Looking forward to your delightful definitions and takes on this wonderful word. Tongue

Cheers,
Linda

20 Jun 2011      

libertybelle
United States

lambrequin is a shorter term for a requiem written for a lamb.
Usually a symphony in 3 movements - the second movement in
"baaaa" major.

This is a religious piece of music because the lamb often symbolizes Jesus.
This is not to be confused with fishrequin which is a requiem written for a fish - also a symbol of Jesus.

20 Jun 2011     

cheezels
New Zealand

lambrequin

A
lambrequin is a lamb mannequin found in NZ. Ever since we started spreading stories about how many sheep there are to people, visitors to our country expect to see more sheep than the millions that we already have. (used to be 25 sheep to one person)
Solution?
The
lambrequin.

You can find them dotted in amongst the real sheep on hillsides and farming areas particularly beside roads and highways.
They blend in with existing sheep so well that the sheepdogs often get confused when they won�t be herded into the pen. Tourists are kept happy and of course none the wiser... until now I guess!

20 Jun 2011     

samsunmustafa
Turkey

The lamb of the Queen Elizabeth.

20 Jun 2011     

teresasimoes
Portugal

lambrequin

quin - each of five children born at the same time
lamb - to give birth (by a sheep)
br - brown
e - eyes

lambrequin - A sheep lambed 5 brown-eyed lambs

20 Jun 2011     

nurikzhan
Kazakhstan

THIS IS SOMETHING connected with curtains?Wink

20 Jun 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

I �m sure that many of you are familiar with the great Marcel Marceu. If you aren �t then I �ll fill you in just a little bit. Monsieur Marceua was, amongst many things, an actor and the world �s greatest mime. Just before he died in 2007 he said  "      !".

What is little known about Marceau is that he was also into genetic engineering. He and the acclaimed Dr. Finkelheimer of Germany worked together to engineer a non-bleating lamb, in other words a mute lamb (You might have seen the movie "Silence of the Lambs"?). The lambs were engineered so that sheep farmers (and their neighbors) could get a good nights rest since sheep often bleat at night causing humans a lot of distress due to lack of sleep. 

What you may say, or maybe not, does this have to do with lambrequin? Well ask no more. A lambrequin is a combination of the words lamb and harlequin (a kind of mime), and this is the name that Monsieur Marceau and Dr. Fienkelheimer chose for this new breed of lamb. Unfortunately the entire flock of lambrquins was devoured by a pack of wolves one night as no one heard them crying for help. Shortly after that the funding for the program was cut and the thus ended the experiment of the silent lambs (lambrequins). And this is the truth. You can look it up in Wikipeadia. Ed

20 Jun 2011     

MarionG
Netherlands

Ed ClapThumbs Up

20 Jun 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

HI Ed

no need to check - you are the Edpeadia.

Thanks a bunch, I ddoooooo learn a lot from your free lessons. You are a must.

LindaClap

21 Jun 2011     

MapleLeaf
Canada

Lambrequin is a new model of Lamborghini in 2012

21 Jun 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Hate to tell you guys have it all wrong!

Lambrequin =

Lamb... clear enough
req = wreck
in= inside

lambrequin = poor little lambs in a wreck IN the sea! Unfortunately, they can �t SWIM! LOL

21 Jun 2011