Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > The longest word    

The longest word

esltalgat
Russian Federation

The longest word

Hey, there! Hope you �re having a good time! Does anyone know THE LONGEST word in English? Make your suggestions... Can �t wait to see them... Because opinions are never the same...

20 Jun 2011      

libertybelle
United States

Things change and so do words - but in the 60 �s - the longest word was:

antidisestablishmentarianism.

Don �t know what it is today!

Here�s what I found on the internet. It says that a lot of words are fictional and some are only made to BE the longest word - so actually antidisestablishmentarianism is still the longest word that means something!!

It all depends on your point of view, but here goes:

First you have �floccinaucinihilipilification� at 29 characters, meaning �the act of estimating as worthless�.  (no one uses this word)

Then there�s �antidisestablishmentarianism� at 28 letters, meaning �opposition to the disestablishment of the Church of England�. It is often considered the longest word as it has an actual meaning instead of being created just to be long.

Even longer still is �Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia�, at 36 characters, it is the fear of long words. They should have made it shorter.

Unofficially the longest word is �pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis� at 45 characters, meaning �a lung disease�. It was created solely for the purpose of being the longest word, however, it does appear in a few dictionaries.

20 Jun 2011     

esltalgat
Russian Federation

tnx! i heard it was like antidisestablishmentarism

20 Jun 2011     

libertybelle
United States

Just added some stuff - see above!

20 Jun 2011     

briseismeltem
Turkey

Once my English teacher told me it was "pneumonoultramicroscobicsuliovalcanoconiosis", it is the name of an illness...

20 Jun 2011     

asungilsanz
Spain

I know this one!! It �s SMILES, because there �s a mile between the first "s" and the last "s"

20 Jun 2011     

manonski (f)
Canada

elastic

20 Jun 2011     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

eternity :)

20 Jun 2011     

anitarobi
Croatia

paperwork:((

20 Jun 2011     

olaola
Italy

@anitarobi:Thumbs Up

20 Jun 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

teacher
as teacher itself,
mother, frequently,
psichologist, most of the times,
nurse, every now an then,
doctor, if no one shows you you have to do the work,
social support, you pay what they need when no one shows up,
best friend, whenever they dramatically fall in love ( the wrong way )
in love supporting, you pay the condoms
godmother, you get the special privilige of being that , cause of some not expected birth
godmother again, you get it when you were a terrific teacher of a child who has nothing, but wants to get married, in church and needs a godmother
cook, when you call them to have lunch with you, at your place
dressmaker, when you go shopping just to get some suitable clothes for that little guy
best friend,again, when you meet some of your students and they say"thanks, teacher, I got the "best mark"
counselor, whenever you push them to the place you know they can reach

shoulder to cry... whenever things go wrong

theacher is a real, real big word

I love what I do
Linda

20 Jun 2011     

1    2    Next >