Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > do / make a castle    

do / make a castle

colibrita
United Kingdom

do / make a castle

Hi Everyone,

Ok, the other day I tell my 3 year old who �s playing in the sand to "do a castle".My Spanish friend asked me why it wasn �t "make a castle"? I told her that both were fine, since "make" usually has the idea of creating something but to be honest I �m not sure why "do" was also ok in this instance.

Any ideas?

Hugs

Colibrita

27 Jun 2011      

yanogator
United States

Maybe BE is different, but I wouldn �t say "do a castle".

Bruce

27 Jun 2011     

Minka
Slovenia

DO a castle doesn �t make much sense to me either. 

27 Jun 2011     

mariec
Spain

I�d say "make a castle" or maybe "build a castle"

27 Jun 2011     

libertybelle
United States

We say go and build or make a sand castle.

27 Jun 2011     

colibrita
United Kingdom

I feel it �s similar to this situation: Imagine a child is drawing a house, you might say to them, why don �t you "do" some windows or a chimney? In this case you coulddn �t use "make". 

Or is this just British English? Do you have to say "draw" elsewhere?!!

Curious Colibrita

27 Jun 2011     

maryse pey�
France

I agree with make a castle. "build" makes me think of a TRUE castle, not a sand one.

"Make" lets suppose a concrete result that everyone can see on the beach, even if after this result will disappear.

27 Jun 2011     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Do/did can be a stand in verb for  draw, make, attempt, or create as in the following example.

The child did a caricature of a famous person. When finished, he asks him Mom, "Who should I do  now? He means who should he draw now. Mom can answer, "Do Ronald McDonad."

Similarly, I can imagine the scenario on the beach where the child has dug a hole and filled it with sea water. When he became bored with that activity, he bagan making a sand sculpture of a turtle, then of a mermaid. Running out ideas, he asks his Mom what he should attempt next. She would be able to say, Do a sand castle."

27 Jun 2011     

colibrita
United Kingdom

Redcamarocruiser, yes I think you �ve hit the nail on the head - in my case "do" was substituting "build".

I �ve just come across this interesting link to a "the difference between make and do" forum. http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/how-do-you-teach-difference-between-make-do-9469/<<

27 Jun 2011     

teachertonyinchina
China

I would use make or build, do a sand castle makes no sense to me.

28 Jun 2011     

lalla99
Romania

I agree with redcamarocruiser: we often use �do �, paradoxically, as a substitute when the first choice might be �make � esp. as it �s connected to creating. My explanation for this would be that in our minds, we are thinking of doing an activity, rather than making something and that �s why we say �do �.

This lack of fixed rule must be very frustrating, but I don �t think English is alone ... Confused

Caroline

29 Jun 2011