Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > conversation club    

conversation club

wende
Spain

conversation club

Hey teachers!
I was wondering... have you ever participated in a conversation club? Not in a school environement, but something more informal and out of the school schedule. How was the experience? And most importantly... what �s the role of the "teacher" there? Let �s say the level of the group is intermediate, in Spain I �d say it �s 2nd of Bachillerato, where students have grammar knowledge but they hardly ever get the chance to speak in class.
Do you correct mistakes as they come or do you present a certain structure and vocab to be used during the session? Aw, so many doubts and nowhere to look...
any help will be MUCH appreciated

Have a happy Sunday! I �m going to the beaaacchh :D

10 Jul 2011      

libertybelle
United States

There are youth clubs here for English students.
The teacher �s role is to come with a conversation topic.
There are only 4-5 kids in each group which gives everyone a chance to
speak and not be shy.

The teacher usually doesn �t take part in the conversation.
Some of my students have participate in these groups which usually last
2-3 hours, once a week - and it helps!!!
They need an environment where they are not corrected. They �ll learn from each other and by using the language freely.

I �ve also heard of English camps in Europe where kids from all countries come and speak for a week and love it.

10 Jul 2011     

Yolandaprieto
Spain

In Spain, native English speakers meet with English teachers in a village and have conversation lessons with five different people a day and it is really interesting. The native speaker corrects the teacher when it is necessary and everybody seems happy to participate and they really learn a lot. They can be having a coffee together, they can go to the swimming pool, have meals together and keep on talking. They say they end up exhausted but it is worth the effort.
My best wishes to all of you.
Yolanda

11 Jul 2011