Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > WORD OF THE DAY¨:)    

WORD OF THE DAY¨:)

Gia Mel
Chile

WORD OF THE DAY¨:)

Hi dear friends:

I ´ve got a message telling me that I ´ve won the "Word of the day" game... First time I win something.... I have to tell you a word now -didn ´t know that part hahaha!-

Anyway... I found a  word fot you... 

Can you tell me what palpebra is ?

ok... if something is missing, let me know...

11 Jul 2011      

yanogator
United States

Palpebra is a women ´s undergarment that is intended for men to enjoy feeling.

In Gia Mel ´s country of Chile, they also have the similar polpebra, which is an undergarment for female octopuses.

Female workers in paper factories wear the pulpebra, which is very squishy.

Bruce

11 Jul 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

Bruce is close to the meaning of our WOD. As we all know words evolve over the years and had today ´s word not done so many of you would have had an aha moment, you would known immediately what our word meant. A little background is needed. The Pope wears many ceremonial tunics. These tunics although made from the finest cloths often cause chafing. To prevent this holy chafing a special undergarment was created for his Holiness. This undergarment has straps and covers the chest, in effect it is much like a bra hence the original name papel bra. Many of the faithful were a little uncomfortable with the this name with its allutions to crossdressing and so the the name was changed to palpebra. Just a switch in one letter was enough to calm the thongs... excuse me... the throngs. So the papel bra became the palpebra. A little side note: Since the 1981 assasination attempt on Pope John Paul II the palpebra that is now bullet proof and since 1987 the Vatican has an exclusive contract with Victoria ´s Secret for the making of aforementioned garment. Ed

11 Jul 2011     

Zora
Canada

Has anyone else noticed that the guys went immediately for the "women ´s under garmet" (bra)... Wink

A palpebra was the first (and last) candelabra made of recycled paper products. After a few failed tests - and a few unfortunate house fires - the idea was quickly discarded.

11 Jul 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

@Zora... What??? My definition happens to be true and it ´s not a female undergarment. Papelbra was the original spelling... jeeezzz. It is so difficult being misunderstood. ;-)

11 Jul 2011     

Zora
Canada

My mistake Ed... so a palpebra isn ´t anything like a "man-sierre"... you know, for them man-boobs!! LOL

11 Jul 2011     

valentinaper
Greece

Hi everyone!

I think the palpebra is an animal, and especially an animal that likes to befriend zebras.

By mistake a child said once"Look, it ´s the pal of a pebra" (instead of ´zebra ´)
and so the animal was given the name palbebra.   Tongue

11 Jul 2011     

douglas
United States

As a Californian, I am used to hearing the slang term for "brother" as "Bro" or "Braa" .  Sometimes people find that their brother is also their best friend (or Pal).  When this is the case we have "my pal is me brother"  or in shorter/slang form "palbebra"

Douglas

11 Jul 2011     

annelaure
France

In French "palper" is slang for touching, so I ´m thinking we ´re talking about a pervert here, you know a guy who can ´t help but touching women ´s breast.....OMG!!

11 Jul 2011     

valentinaper
Greece

@ MapleLeaf:
What a nice story! True literature, or should I say poetry? Clap

11 Jul 2011     

Gia Mel
Chile

OKI DOKI!!!

You ´ve been very creative... Thanks for participating in this game... 

First... The true meaning is... 

PALPEBRA: n. (pl. -ae ) eyelid. palpebral, a. palpebrate, a. having palpebrae;, v.i. wink. 

Although I loved all your definitions, there must be only one winner...

And the winner is:

YANOGATOR ! Congratulations!

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Good night everybody! Nice Game...

12 Jul 2011