Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > expressions and phrases for intermediate class    

expressions and phrases for intermediate class

gonabadesl
Iran

expressions and phrases for intermediate class

hello everybody!
I am an english teacher .I am teaching interchange books by Jack C Richards.I need some expressions.Can i give these expressions to students to memorize them.is it a good way to learn english.can you give me some experiances for teaching and some lessonplans for learning it.

11 Jul 2011      

s.lefevre
Brazil

I personnaly don �t think that momorizing expressions is a good way to learn. I always use vocabulary in context. For instance a text with some of the expressions you want them to learn. Sometimes, I find a text let �s say about food. I try to adapt it and put more vocabulary and expressions about the topic as in the original. I also think that students  learn easier by topic and not random expressions. 

11 Jul 2011     

fsams
Maldives

I totally agree with Lefevre. Language is a system of choices, of course we all know that. However, what we often fail to do is putting this fact into students � heads. Giving expressions to mug up won �t do any good if they do not know how to use them. So, I would suggest you to never teach vocabulary and expressions in isolation. Link them to their life and real life experiences. Show them ways of using different expressions to convey the same message. Try to make them aware that language is a system of choices and once you are successful in doing so, your students will naturally start employing new and varied expressions in their everyday conversations and work.

Cheers,
Fsams

11 Jul 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

You can give your ss vocabulary lists to memorize while you �re studying a specific topic from your book and they can see the expressions used in context. There �s a lexical approach to teaching ESL. You might like to explore. Here �s a ppt for you to get a general idea.
Sophia

11 Jul 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

Sophia, I thought the ppt was very informative and it �s obviously geared towards ESL students in America although I question the authors � assumptions.

"No one is more motivated to learn a new language than an ESL student. It is a ticket of admission to mainstream America."

11 Jul 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Well, Ed, 
as I said: to get a general idea. You can read more about it here http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/search/apachesolr_search/lexical%20approach
Sophia

11 Jul 2011