Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Basic Skills / Foundation Class    

Basic Skills / Foundation Class

m.farvas
Malta

Basic Skills / Foundation Class

Dear all,

I will be teaching a basic skills class this year.  These are students who are very low achievers, have learning difficulties and very often behavioural problems.  They can �t read or write with the exception of basic words perhaps.  Doesn �t sound easy, does it?  Can you please suggest materials and resources that can be effective and facilitate teaching and learning?  I have Hotspot coursebook available.

Thanks again.Smile

25 Aug 2011      

carme sammut
Malta

I am a complementary teacher and deal with such students everyday.  First and foremost I try to instill curiosity and interest through stories online and interactive games.  Then I make use of spinners and dice for word banks.  These will lead to sentence building and creative tasks.
I try to elicit their interests for example soccer, car races and through their interests I build up word banks.  Example:  football teams like Blackpool, Arsenal, Manchester United.  Incredible enough they are able to write out the names of their favourite football teams, or famous wrestlers.   My lessons always consist of multi- sensory tasks: initial and ending sound, oral story telling, oral questions etc.

best regards  

carmen

25 Aug 2011     

m.farvas
Malta

Grazzi hafna Carmen :)  Do you use any particular resources?

Thanks
Mar

25 Aug 2011