Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Grammar    

Grammar

cindymchugh511
United States

Grammar

hey could anyone tell me what you would call this kind of sentence?

I finished reading the book.
I ~ed ~ing the car.

It�s not past continuous

22 Dec 2008      

alex1968
Greece

I finished = past simple

the verb finish is followed by a gerund, so: finish + ing

Hence we have the sentence:

I finsihed reading my book.

The verb BEGIN is also followed by a GERUND

I began studying at 5pm and only finished doing all my homework at 11pm last night!

22 Dec 2008     

MissMelissa12
Peru

That Grammar feature is GERUNDS and INFINITIVES

The gerund from -ing:

- After some main verbs: admit, appreciate, consider, delay, deny, detest, dislike, enjoy, escape, face, feel like, FINISH, forgive, imagine, mention, mind, miss, practise, prefer, recommend, risj, suggest, understand, involve, put off, give up...and more.

The infinitive with to:

-After some main verbs: afford, agree, arrange, ask, bear, begin, attempt, hope, expect, start, remember, try, hate, help, promise, offer, want, wish, happe, forget, seem, pretend, prefer, care, choose...and more.

Some verbs can be followed by a gerund or to- infinitive but they have a difference in meaning:

e.g: I remember seeing you somewhere before. (An action that happened before the moment of remembering)

� � � �I remember to lock the door. ( An action after the moment of remembering)

e.g I regret going to the party last night. (be sorry about an action in the past)

� � � I regret to tell you that your bags have been stolen. (be sorry about a present action)

I hope I helpt a little!! ;)

22 Dec 2008     

Damielle
Argentina

I think that "finished reading" is a verb phrase.

22 Dec 2008     

andreaewa
Uruguay

Yes, it�s a verb phrase in the past simple because the main verb of the sentence is finished (past simple).

22 Dec 2008     

Ayaniw
Algeria

Hi  Cindy!
                    The word reading is a gerund (i.e. verb +ing after some verbs) Our colleague Melissa has just given you a list of verbs after which we use a gerund (ing) instead of infinitive.
                    The sentence itself is  an S.V.O. sentence:
                    (I==>Subject / finished==>Verb / reading the book==>Object)
                    and the qq to be asked is: What did you finish? In this sentence the gerund is Object of a sentence as it can be subject is others such as: Repairing a car costs a lot nowadays.
 Bye 

22 Dec 2008