Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Phrase of the day for 30 Aug.    

Phrase of the day for 30 Aug.

Apodo
Australia

Phrase of the day for 30 Aug.

I won the last WOD/POD competition, so here is a new phrase for you to explain.

Australia has many unusual sayings. How would you explain this one?

Don �t come the raw prawn with me.

Remember, no internet searching (or asking Aussies). The winner will be the most amusing, witty or way out answer.

30 Aug 2011      

teresapr
Portugal

It �s over. Don �t try to seduce me with expensive gifts, jewels or meals!And do you want me to tell you a secret? I hate raw prawn!

30 Aug 2011     

ascincoquinas
Portugal

this is an australian expression used when a couple don �t see eye to eye to one another and usually the man is trying to break up with her female partner.

30 Aug 2011     

douglas
United States

Do be rude/cruel to somebody.  Imagine going to a "potluck" and bringing raw prawns--nobody could eat them and they would start stinking pretty fast if they weren �t cooked quickly.  This would cause only problems for the host of the party.

"Hello dear, I brought prawns!"
"Prawns!! How wonderful, the guests will love them."
"Yes, you just need to cook them."
"Oh! They�re raw...hmmm?" (Thinking: "What a %&�%&!")

30 Aug 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

"Don�t come the raw prawn with me!"
             It�s uncanny how a 15
th century, English, idiomatic expression can travel virtually unchanged by time, distance and language, from �England�, (as was), to present-day �Australia�, (as is), altered only in regard to punctuation.

I am referring, of course, to the English expression: �To bang your head against a brick wall�, which has existed since 1483, (when �brick walls� were first invented).

This expression has precisely the same words, form, and meaning as �Don �t come the raw prawn with me�.  (The few, slight differences are fully explained in the text-books, �The Population Explosion� by Stanwell Back, and �The Lazy School-Child� by Tyrone Shoelaces.)

Incidentally, if you travel by air to Australia in a UK plane, it is only 10,500 miles.  However, if you travel in a French plane, it is much further, about 17, 000 kilometres.  So be warned!

Yes!  Since 1483, the English have been: �Banging their head against a brick wall!�  Many psychological theories have been advanced for this practice, but it is generally believed that it is because of the pleasure that it brings.  It is so nice when you stop!

Incidentally, continuing with the underwater theme:

�What do you call six fish with no eyes?�  �Sx fsh�.

�Have you seen the film, �The Codfather�, starring Prawn Connery and Kylie Minnow�?  �No! But I�ve heard the songs, �Pirana Happy Face�, and, �You Walrus hurt the One you Love�, from �Albert Herring�, by Benjamin Britten, from Finland�.

�How can you tell if two octopuses are in love?�  �They walk arm-in-arm, arm-in-arm, arm-in-arm, arm-in ... ...�.    

I will end with a true story.

In my local waterway, the River Tyne, a shark, which was one of a school of sharks, was observed carrying on its back a squid, which was extremely ill.  The squid was obviously suffering from poisoning, possibly from pesticides.  It was a really sick squid!

The shark returned to its school, which was a �Card School�, devoted to gambling.  (A �Language School� uses Flash Cards, but a �Card School� uses Playing Cards.)  The Banker was a Killer Shark to whom all the other sharks owed money, because he was also a Loan Shark.

The Killer Shark called out: �Hi.  You owe me money!�

The shark pointed to the squid on its back, and in a trembling voice, answered:  �OK, OK.  Here�s that six quid I owe you!�

Les

30 Aug 2011     

maryse pey�
France

As you know there are a lot of twin prawns under the sea and to be able to pass the raw of prams for twins the prawns have to walk on the side and cannot go straight.

So it is a way to say �Tell the things straight on without hesitation or useless details �, in other words �Straight on the topic with me ! �.

30 Aug 2011