Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Debate Topic: Pets on Flights    

Debate Topic: Pets on Flights

Zora
Canada

Debate Topic: Pets on Flights

Hi everybody!

This weeks debate topic is... *drum roll*... Should pets be allowed on flights?

http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2011/08/23/Canadian-doctors-Ban-pets-on-flights/UPI-75301314120839/

The Canadian Medical Association wants to ban pets on flights. They believe that animals should fly in the cargo hold and not with the passengers. Something I totally agree with and have also believed for many years. Animals are not people and this whole Paris Hilton mentality of dressing pooches up and treating them like people has gone a bit too far.

I was quite surprised though when I first saw the article on Yahoo, just how many people think it �s OK to subject others to their "babies" and believed the CMA was wrong in suggesting such a thing. So after reading others opinions on the subject, I was interested in knowing what ESL members think about people travelling with their pets in the passenger part of the plane?

31 Aug 2011      

Jayho
Australia

Quite honestly Zora, I didn�t know it was allowed.  In Australia pets must fly in the cargo hold on commercial flights so this concept is unknown to us

But then again, I should have realised that in countries where pet�s are allowed in restaurants and hotel rooms it would be only reasonable to allow pets in the plane as well.  

Not sure how I feel about it.  I must admit, I still haven�t gotten over the one time I dined in an overseas restaurant where three dogs sat on the chairs at the next table with a couple.  I don�t think I�d like to be sitting next to a pooch on a long flight, especially if it was of the drooling kind like the one in Turner and Hooch.

Cheers

Jayho

31 Aug 2011     

moravc
Czech Republic

Since my home country is a small one, I would never ever think about taking a pet on a plane. We have had many pets - dogs, guinea-pigs, mice, hamsters, ferrets, turtles, fish, some insects (stick insects), scorpions, dwarf rabits, cats and all our pets hated travelling - no matter of whch mean of transport we used.
They cried, pissed, womitted whatever...
I think it is a big stress for  all animals and it is better to keep them at home and ask a friend / a neighbour / a relative to look after the pets while we are out.

If it is absolutely necessary to travel with a pet, then the pets should be "sedated" and put in the cargo hold IF the conditions of this part of the plane is suitable for them...

31 Aug 2011     

frenchfrog
France

The solution already exists:

31 Aug 2011     

Zora
Canada

Hi Jayho,

It is actually quite common is some countries. My aunt, here in Spain, flies back and forth to the US all the time with her Yorkie... and she used to hide her dog, believe it or not, in her carry on/purse on domestic flights... this was before the whole scanning everything business everywhere. (I�d like to add my aunt is very eccentric... used to put bows in the dogs hair even before it was fashionable!!)

31 Aug 2011     

Jayho
Australia

... so does the Yorkie have to undergo all those security checks they have in the US now?

If she wanted to bring Yorkie here not only would Yorkie travel in the hold but on arrival Yorkie would have to reside in quarantine anywhere from one month to nine months.

31 Aug 2011     

Zora
Canada

@Jayho,

I honestly don �t know about the security checks... Although, she goes to the US twice a year for a few months to visit her daughter, so I am guessing that it �s probably easier for a dog to get into the US than a person! If that makes any sense at all... Wacko

And, I think it �s a good idea to have some type of quarantine when animals come from abroad. You never know what they could be carrying.

31 Aug 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Linda

I �ve just arrived from Brazil, a 7:30 hours flight; we had a cute Yorkie and an amazing little cat  aboard. They didn �t disturb anyone.
On the other hand, we travelled with several little kids who, unfortunately, were able to stay awake the whole flight, cried, screamed, shouted.....
So, my point, a plane is a public place, just like a bus, everyone can catch. As I don �t like to travel with many people around, pushing and talking and beeing nosey, I bought my own car - I don �t travel by bus. That simple.
Now, my problem is that I haven �t managed to buy MY plane, so far; so, I travel with whatever - cats and dogs, noisy kids, adults who forgot to have a shower the previous week ( month ??? ), adults who take shower in parfum, instead of water, people who snore the whole time, well...and many times with people that can have infectious diseases.
This is our world - and there has to be a place for everyone.

@ Frogy
Your Airlines seems quite comfortable. Thumbs Up
I left my Golden at my daughter �s, but after 24 hours they had to bring her back home, because she wouldn �t eat or pee. So, she stayed here, at home, the whole day alone, until about seven o �clock - but she seemed happier here, alone, than with a part of the family, in a strange home.
Difficult thing when we have to decide these situations.Wacko

Linda

31 Aug 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

My dog has his own passport, issued under the Pet Travel Scheme (see here) - hates travelling, though, particularly in the poky wee stainless steel boxes on the cross-channel ferries. Then again, he �s a grumpy old sod and complains about everything anyway. Thank goodness they don �t put photos on pet passports.

31 Aug 2011     

maryse pey�
France

Hi everyone,

What a topic !

Well I remember some interesting TV discussions about pets in Japan or the importance of pets in people �s life. 1 of the interviewees said she was spending more for her dog than for herself !!!! Another one was able to spend incredible sums in bringing her animal to the animal-psychologist. Another one was bringing his pets to a luxurious hotel for pets with possible TV in the room and so on....

I had had a dog. I was crazily fond of him.... Unfortunately he died too young. I couldn �t travel without him but I perfectly admitted he was a dog and that lots of people may be afraid of him, his size even if he did not bark or bite if he felt safe. He was a very very quiet and intelligent dog but he had some unexpected reactions due to the fact that he was an animal. And we, human beings, tried to understand the real cause of these reactions.

Travelling with a pet is not easy. Particularly from a country to another or for a long distance. Animals are used to �travel � on their paws or flying with their own wings.

And some of you have raised the problem of ill-bred children. What is worse ? A calm pet travelling with one �s master or a very capricious child ?

Animals as children can have their weaknesses or their fears, their limits in patience... And we adults or pets � owners are only human beings submitted to constraints in public transportation for example.

Keep cool guys ! Keep cool ! I am afraid excess is not to die...

So let �s try to intervene if there is an ACTUAL danger, whatever situation it may be !

31 Aug 2011     

MarionG
Netherlands

Just to add a point to ponder...quite a few people suffer from allergies related to pets...

(I love animals, grew up with them, but to be honest I do think comparing animals to kids, no matter how obnoxious, goes a bit far....)

31 Aug 2011     

1    2    Next >