Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Ideas for a successful schoolyear    

Ideas for a successful schoolyear

Kita19
Portugal

Ideas for a successful schoolyear

Hello!

Each beginning of a school year, I always wonder what are the best strategies for a good and successful beginning, i.e., how can I motivate the children right from the 1st class to learn English and also motivate them for good behaviour. 

I teach English to children in primary schools (6-10 y.o.). This year, I thought about settling some rules with them at the beginning and praise good behaviour. I thought of making a list or a box with little pieces of paper where I would write funny activities with about 5 minutes.

The idea is when the rules agreed are followed in one class, the students take a piece of paper from the box at the beginning of next class and do what the paper states. However, I �m lacking ideas on what I should write for the activities. Can you help me? In your opinion, what are the best games/activities/gifts children like that are easily done in about 5 minutes?

I thought of some:
- a game (ex. "Simon says". Suggestions of others?)
- wordsearch
- opportunity to change place in this class (children love to sit in different places, next to their friend...)
- sticker

Thanks!

5 Sep 2011      

isabelle99
Monaco

When I was a trainee, my tutor used English passport: a ws folded in 3 parts : front page where they write their name, form, school and school year and colour the drawing of Big Ben. the other 3 pages correspond to the 3 terms; They get a sticker when they deserve it at the end of the lesson; When they have 10 stickers, they get a gift and a 20/20 (I bought some special prizes like stAr shAped rubbers, or best pupil bAdges...) For those who dont get 10 sickers at the end of the school term, I still give them a mark according to the number of stickers. It works very well. if you wish to, I can Email the passport WS.
ps. Each passport is kept in an envelope which is glued in their copybook so that they never lose it!

5 Sep 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Kita,

1.    Write, (or say), 3 things that are a particular colour: on Monday �green�; on Tuesday �red�. etc.

2.    Write, (or say), 3 things that begin with an Alphabet Letter: on Monday �A�; on Tuesday �B�. etc.

3.    Draw your favourite toy, and write its name underneath.

4.    Write a Shopping List, with 3 items on it, and with the price.

5.    A Treasure Hunt for a Hidden Object, and 3 easy clues written on the Board � Clue A, then B, then C, and now you can see the Hidden Object.

6.     3 Sound Effects, played by the Teacher, (actual, or recorded), and the Students write the 3 answers.

7.    3 Sound Effects of Animals, played by the Teacher, (recorded), and the Students write the 3 answers.

8.    3 Sound Effects of Musical Instruments, played by the Teacher, (recorded), and the Students write the 3 answers.

9.    Write the name of your Favourite Food.

10.   Teacher says 3 words, Students write the Opposites � Black/White; Yes/No; Up/Down.

11.   Teacher says 3 words, Students write the Plurals � Boy/Boys; Child/Children; Tooth/Teeth.

12.   Teacher says 3 words, Students write Words which Rhyme � Toy/Boy; Go/No; Fat/Cat.

13.   Write, (or say), 3 words which have 2 letters � Is/On/At.

14.   Write, (or say), 3 words which have 3 letters � Hat/Yes/Toy.

15.   Write, (or say), 3 words which have 4 letters � Ball/Girl/Dogs.

16.   Write, (or say), 3 words which have 5 letters � Think/Hello/Woman.

17.   Write, (or say), 3 words which have 1 syllable � Ball/Yes/No.

18.   Write, (or say), 3 words which have 2 syllables � Doctor/Teacher/Mother.

19.   Write, (or say), 3 words which have 3 syllables � Computer/Kangaroo/Banana.

20.   When the Teacher says the Word, Touch that Part of your Body with your Right Hand � Nose/Arm/Neck/Leg/Ear/Head/etc.

21.   When the Teacher Says the Verb, the Students Do, (or pretend to do), the Action � Sleep/Stand/Sit/Write/Read/Eat/Drink/etc.

22.   The Teacher begins a sequence of words, and then stops, but Students must write the next word � Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday/STOP.  January/February/etc.  One/Two/Three/etc.

23.   Teacher says a Category, Students must give 3 words in that Category � TRANSPORT: bus/car/train.  FRUIT; VEGETABLES; JOBS; DAYS of the WEEK; MONTHS of the YEAR; NUMBERS; BOYS� NAMES; GIRLS� NAMES; COUNTRIES; etc.

24.   Teacher points to a part of her body � Students write the word; Nose; Ear; Mouth; etc.

25.   Teacher shows, (for example), 5 fingers � Students must write �Five�, etc.

26.   Teacher asks Mathematical Questions � �What is 5 plus 3?�  Students must write, (or say), the answer �Eight�

27.   Write 3 items which you see in the Kitchen � Plate/Cup/Bread.

28.   Write 3 items which you see in the Bedroom � Bed/Curtain/Shoes.

29.   Write 3 items which you see in the Living Room � Chair/Table/Television.

30.   Write 3 items which you see in the Bathroom � Water/Soap/Towel.

31.   Spelling Bee, where Teacher says 3 words, Students must spell them

32.   Teacher says the name of an item of Transport.  Student must draw it and write its name underneath.

33.   Teacher says the name of a Building.  Students must draw it and write its name underneath.

34.   Teacher says the name of a Fruit.  Students must draw it and write its name underneath.

35.   Teacher says the name of a Vegetable.  Students must draw it and write its name underneath.

36.   Teacher says the name of a Teacher.  Students must draw him/her and write his/her name underneath.

37.   Teacher says the name of a Student in the Class.  Students must draw him/her and write his/her name underneath.

38.   Teacher gives the name of a colour, for example �Red�.  Students must write the word �Red� in red crayon.

39.   Teacher says the name of an animal, for example, �Sheep�.  Student must make the noise of that animal, �Baa-aa-aah�.

40.   Teacher gives the name of a Country, for example �France�.  Students must write, (or say), the name of a citizen of that country, �French�.

41.    Teacher gives a sentence in the Present Simple Tense, using �I�, for example: �I eat a sandwich�.  Student repeats the same sentence for �he�, (or �she�, or �it�).  For example: �He eats a sandwich�.

42.   Teacher whispers, or writes, a verb for 2 Students, for example �To sleep�, but no-one else sees the Verb.  Teacher chooses a Student.  The 2 Students must mime the Verb, and the chosen Student must guess the Verb.

43.   Teacher writes a �long� word on the Board, for example, �information�.  The Students must write as many words as possible which are contained in the word --- �in, for, mat, at, on, from, man, etc�.

44.   Teacher gives the Class 2 words, for example, �cat� and �house�.  Students must make a sentence using these 2 words, for example.  ï¿½The cat goes in the house�.

45.   Teacher gives the Class a word.  The Students must write �a friend� of that word, and explain why it is �a friend�.  For example: �Boy� --- �Girl, because boys and girls play together�.  �Son, because a son is a boy�.  �Bicycle, because a boy rides a bicycle�, etc.

46.   Teacher gives the Class a word, for example, �work�.  The Students must give words that are related to this --- �works/working/worked/worker/work-man/etc.�

47.   Teacher gives the Class a 4-line Poem, or a 5-line Limerick, but minus the last line.  Students must complete the poem with any line that they invent, that rhymes.

48.   Teacher gives 2 Students a simple Role-Play.  Students must do the Role-Play.

49.   Teacher gives the Class a girl�s name.  Students must supply a Song Title which contains that name.  Give an extra point if the Student sings the song.

50.   Teacher gives the Class a boy�s name.  Students must supply a Song Title which contains that name.  Give an extra point if the Student sings the song.

These Games could be Individual, with a Prize; or Team, with a �Star�; or Boys versus Girls, with a Score; or �Go Around The Class�, with a round of applause.

These are just some of the ideas that came into my head.  There must be 100�s more.  However, I hope that I have given you something to think about .

Les

5 Sep 2011     

Denisa
Romania

Les -  Clap

5 Sep 2011     

Mariethe House
France

Here are some of my ws for the " back to school" time. Have a look; maybe they �re of some use to you: (they �re all minibooks : how to establish a few classroom rules,  some fun activities and
an A to Z booklet to offer questions  for kids to answer and introduce themselves to each other.)

http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=565493#thetop

http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=565677#thetop

http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=568892#thetop

Good luck to you. I am sure everything will be fineSmile

5 Sep 2011     

mobi
Moldova

Another interesting activity is to bting a small ball in class. Students stand in a circle an throw the ball by saying  theopposites of the adjectives the privoius student said.

11 Sep 2011