Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Day     

Word of the Day

Apodo
Australia

Word of the Day

Thanks Valentinaper!

The new word/phrase for today is:       FAIRY BREAD

What is it?  Is it eaten? Who eats it? When?
Remember this is a "Use your Imagination exercise" -
Now it �s over to you!

15 Sep 2011      

Sainte-Marie
United States

This a special kind of bread that if left for a night on the table, in a special full moon, when an unique flower is blossoming  than we �ll have our simple bread sprinkled by colorful teardrops of fairy. On eating which will give us a magic power to teleport.  Like in the movie Jumper. Isn �t it cool!

15 Sep 2011     

Mariethe House
France

In some countries, they have a sandman to send the children to sleep.
There �s a far land where the sandman is replaced by fairies! They use a magic wand and throw some very colourful , multicoloured , tiny little sweets to help the children to sleep . These little sweets are called fairy dust. And the next morning, when children wake up they find those little sugar things in little paper cups ready to spread on their bread for a yummy breakfast!

Fairy Bread"
Poem by Robert Louis Stevenson

Come up here, O dusty feet!
Here is fairy bread to eat.
Here in my retiring room,
Children, you may dine
On the golden smell of broom
And the shade of pine;
And when you have eaten well,
Fairy stories hear and tell.

15 Sep 2011     

douglas
United States

WARNING! THIS POST IS POLITICALLY INCORRECT IN SOME PLACES!
 --I don �t mean to offend, just to play a little.

Fairy bread-  Is a special baked good that causes men to want to don skirts and other frilly attire and parade around in a very effeminate way.

15 Sep 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

Goodness! "Don �t give the game away" obviously doesn �t travel too well.

Fairy bread, as any good Celt knows, is the currency of Elfland:

10 Pucks = 1 Morgana
10 Morganas = 1 Selkie
10 Selkies = 1 Oberon
10 Oberons = 1 Sidhe

Because of the current economic crisis, though, you can �t take this money out of Elfland unless you can find a leprechaun who �d be willing to change it for an appropriately-sized pot o � gold. Otherwise, your hard-earned fairy cash turns into confetti - or Drachmas (whichever is cheaper).

15 Sep 2011     

maryse pey�
France

FOOLISHLY AND FEVERISHLY
ABSENT-MINDED AND ADORABLE
INCREDIBLE AND INCOGNITO
ROSES AND REVELRY
YOUNG AT HEART

for

BORN BRILLIANT AND BRIGHT
RICH-HEARTED AND ROYAL
ESL EXPRESSIVE AND EXTRAORDINARY
ADMIRABLE AND AMBITIOUS
DEDICATED DEAR TEACHERS

you are dear friends the fairy bread of our students.

15 Sep 2011     

Mariethe House
France

WHo gave the game away? Douglas?Wink 

15 Sep 2011     

valentinaper
Greece

A friend of mine used the following story to convince her 2-year-oldson, Bill, to give up his pacifier.
She told Bill that there is a fairy who collects pacifiers from older boys to give them to newborn babies who really need them. Apart from that, the fairy would leave a toy car for him when she �d take his pacifier, but, in order to please the fairy, Bill should leave a candy or something sweet for her to eat.
So I guess that FAIRY BREAD is what children leave for fairies to collect in exchange for something the fairies take away from them (a tooth, their sucking toy). I think of it as something similar to "milk and cookies for Santa".

15 Sep 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

�Fairy Bread�

Can I just say immediately, that there is no such phrase as �Fairy Bread�!

�If there had been such a phrase, I would have heard about it.  I haven�t heard the phrase used, therefore, obviously, it doesn�t exist�.

In offering this quotation, may I thank the �School of Claptrap�, for the use of their text-books, �Mixing with the Right People�, by Jocelyn Sholders; and, �A Futile Argument�, by Xavier Breth.

I suspect that the phrase under discussion is actually, �Fairly Bred�, the title of the book about British aristocratic families, by Hans Doolittle.

It may even be, �Dairy Bed�, the definitive pamphlet about milk production, sub-titled, �Cow Buyers and Cow Byers�, by Anita Bath.

This leaflet on milk, which was originally in 5 volumes, has now been condensed.  It contains numerous milk recipes, including one for memory loss, Milk of Amnesia.

It also includes the first recorded joke about Cleopatra bathing in the milk of an ass.  She ordered her bath to be filled with milk, and was asked by a servant:

Pasteurise?�

�No, just up to my neck!�

However, Apodo, if you wish to introduce Psychology into �Phrase of the Day�, I respectfully suggest that you first read, �The Reason for Existence�, by Ray Zondette.

Les

15 Sep 2011     

maryse pey�
France

hey Les, couldn �t it be �cow bikers � ????

as usual you are absolutely awful : we can �t help bursting into tears of laughter !!!!

15 Sep 2011     

Apodo
Australia

And the wiinner is..........

Almaz with the currency of Elfland.

Actually many of you were spot on & you even provided pictures. Fairy Bread is, as every Australian child knows, bread spread with butter and sprinkled with �Sprinkles �. It �s often served at children �s parties.

16 Sep 2011