Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Is there one correct asnwer?    

Is there one correct asnwer?

Lovely Lana
Greece

Is there one correct asnwer?

Hello, dear collegueas
I need your help

In one of the tests my proficiency students are doing at the moment there is a muliple choice question:

I �m sorry, sir, I can �t let you in. Membership is ... to chief executive officers.
a) restricted
b) curtailed
c) confined
d) restrained

The correct answer in the teacher �s book is a).
Would the answer c) be wrong? I �ve found a few examples with this word in google used excatly the same

Ordinary membership is confined to those whose present and established interest ...
Active membership is confined to individuals who hold line or staff positions ...

19 Sep 2011      

tastybrain
Taiwan

While "confined" may be used by some people, I would say that it is not correct usage in the example given.

Why? While the meaning is still recognizable, there is a possibility for confusion since "confining the membership" could mean that you are not allowing members to leave the area (though the text would most likely eliminate this interpretation). Furthermore, restricted is the way I have always heard it said in every instance meaning confined is most likely nonstandard.

19 Sep 2011     

Lovely Lana
Greece

Tastybrain, thanks a lot for such a clear explanation. You helped me a lot!!!

19 Sep 2011     

Jayho
Australia

They are very similar in meaning however restricted is the favoured term  when referring to memberships as you can see here

20 Sep 2011