Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Ask for help     

Ask for help

batistaloc
United States

Ask for help

Teachers at my school are arguing ab this small problem whether we can use "become friends with sb" or not. Is it ok or grAmmartically? Thanks for ur answers

20 Sep 2011      

mariec
Spain

IT IS CORRECT TO SAY;"  BECOME FRIENDS WITH SB.

ANN BECAME FRIENDS WITH MY BROTHER....

BUT THE SENTENCE;" ANN AND MY BROTHER BECAME FRIENDS ..." SOUNDS BETTER.

20 Sep 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

@Alex Le

What exactly was the argument about? I really can �t see the point of it. �Become � has the senses of �grow to be � and �begin to be �. So, where �s the argument?

I did a quick check and found the phrase was used just recently by History Today, Cosmopolitan and The New York Times, among others.

20 Sep 2011     

bibikos
Greece

according to Oxford Learner �s Dictionary of English Idioms we say "make friends with sb = become sb �s friends".
I think I �ve also encountered the phrase become friends with.

20 Sep 2011     

batistaloc
United States

My students used become friends with in his test, which i suppose to be absolutely right. However some teachers in my school didn �t mark him and said that: "According to the dictionary, there is only �be friends with � not become friends with". So we argued. 
One more thing, they even didnt mark this sentence "She is sent abroad to study chemistry". They say we are not allowed to use simple present in this sentence. What do u think? We had a big fight.

20 Sep 2011     

batistaloc
United States

My students used become friends with in his test, which i suppose to be absolutely right. However some teachers in my school didn �t mark him and said that: "According to the dictionary, there is only �be friends with � not become friends with". So we argued. 
One more thing, they even didnt mark this sentence "She is sent abroad to study chemistry". They say we are not allowed to use simple present in this sentence. What do u think? We had a big fight.

20 Sep 2011     

batistaloc
United States

20 Sep 2011     

Zora
Canada

Well, for one thing "is sent" is the present passive form (not present simple - so they are pulling one over you if they are insisting on that), and perhaps it would sound better as "was sent" BUT I do think it �s wrong not to mark something and just consider it "wrong". What about the students effort? Is it really such a crime that he/she used the present passive instead of a past form??

All I can say is that some teachers like to get (and stay on) on their high horses sometimes, when they really need to be bucked off once in a while to keep them a bit more humble.

20 Sep 2011     

batistaloc
United States

Thanks all of u. But nothing has changed.

21 Sep 2011