Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning powerpoints > ACTIONS - Phonetic powerpoint    

ACTIONS - Phonetic powerpoint

marlita
Brazil

ACTIONS - Phonetic powerpoint

Hi Victor,

I send a powerpoint about phonetic but when I opened it the phonts were so different. What happened? may I borrow it? Please, help me.

25 Sep 2008      

goodnesses
Algeria

Dear Marli
The problem is very simple. It comes from the fonts you used when designing you PPT. By default, WORD or PowerPoint do not save the font itself but only its name to reduce the size of the file and when the file is opened in another computer it searches for the same font on that computer and very often it is not found. In this case the system replaces the missing font with one of the common fonts to all computers. Unfortunately these font do not include the special characters such as phonetic ones.

The solution is simple. You have just to embed the font in your file so that t travels with it and when opened on any PC it appears as you expect it. How to do so? Admitting your using MS-Office 2003 or XP in Powerpoint Menu go to options, then save options you should find a tick refer to "embed font in document" and another "embed only used charaters" then make sure to choose "apply to all documents" from a combo-box somewhere there under. Click OK save your document another time.

Now you can update the one you have already uploaded.

I can�t wait to see this Document. I am very interested in anything relating to pronunciation and phonetics.

Hope this is of some help.

26 Sep 2008     

marlita
Brazil

Hi,Victor,

Pronunciation and phonetics are very interesting and who use the symbols needs to download the IPA Phonts and install them in the PC Symbols. I always use : Sil Sophia IPA93.
The link to download the IPA was edited together with the powerpoint. If you can�t see I�ll try to follow your advices. Thanks a lot.
To tell you the truth I�m a Spanish teacher but I love both idioms.

Hugs

Marlita

26 Sep 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

Hi, Marlita.
Just do as I told you. And your WS and PPts will be OK for anyone who downloads them.
Because even if Victor install the IPA font in his server it cannot solve the problem for everybody since the font should be installed on the PC where the Doc is opened. You cannot snd the font apart to all the people who are going to download your WS or PPTs.
The only way is to embed the font in the document itself.

Regards

27 Sep 2008     

marlita
Brazil

Ok Goodnesses,

I�ll try.

Thanks

2 Oct 2008     

larkahn
Ukraine

I have found that most Windows computers have the Lucide Sans Unicode font which contains most of the IPA phonetic characters used for ESL teaching. The�Sil Sophia IPA93 and other fonts are beautiful. As mentioned above, though, they must be installed on your computer. Using Sil fonts and others are inconvenient if you are going to want to share your files/presentations with others.�

Witht the built-in Lucida Sans Unicode font, the IPA characters can be entered by using the Windows Character Map. Unfortunately, I have found it very inconvenient to hunt for the characters with the Windows Character Map.

As a result, I actually created a virtual onscreen keyboard for entering phonetic characters and am in the process of finishing it up. My original version used a free downloadable font; however, this made it impossible to share with others who don�t have that font installed on their computer. The new version uses the Lucida Sans Unicode font, and I use the software myself for my own PowerPoint presentations.

You can view the original version at�http://phonetercise.googlepages.com. I would be more than happy to provide a free demonstration copy of the new version to try. The keyboard for entering text is fully functional; however, when starting the program there is a 30 second delay (for non-registered users). There is no time limit, so you can use the program indefinitely. I am currently working on a basic ESL mini-dictionary of about 1000 words. This would be similar to the Cambridge KEY/KET standard and may be useful for teachers who don�t feel totally comfortable with the IPA characters. Basic vocabulary can be looked up and pasted into PowerPoint or other word processors.

I won�t say any more here, as I don�t feel it is appropriate to use this site to advertise; however, I am replying because I feel this information may be of use to you. Feel free to contact me at [email protected] if you have any questions.�

Also, if the administrator of this site feels that this posting violates any rules for posting, I will understand if it must be deleted.

Larry

This is a small screen shot (not actual size)

27 Oct 2008