Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Plural of hair    

Plural of hair

Mietz
Germany

Plural of hair

Dear colleagues,

I learnt, that the word "hair" doesn �t have a plural with "s".
Now a language guide book a student brought along said, that "hairs" means the hair in the intimate parts. Is that correct? (Without meaning to go into an indecent discussion here...) I �ve never heard that.

Thanks for your help!
Mietz

21 Sep 2011      

isabelle99
Monaco

CORRECT! 

21 Sep 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

hair can be countable and uncountable see the dictionary reference http://www.oxfordadvancedlearnersdictionary.com/dictionary/hair
Sophia

21 Sep 2011     

Jayho
Australia

No, it is not correct.

Hair as an uncount noun generally means the hair on your head but can also mean hair elsewhere such as "he has a lot of body hair" (generally meaning a hairy chest and arms).

Hair as a count noun means single strands of hair e.g.  �I have a few grey hairs�

Consider the difference between:

�I have grey hair � v �I have a few grey hairs/I found a grey hair�

�They found hair at the crime scene � v �They found a hair/a few hairs at the crime scene �

Does this help explain it?

21 Sep 2011     

Zora
Canada

I agree with Jayho here. Hair can be plural in certain cases.

When you are referring to strands of hair, you can say "hairs". I have 5 hairs on my left leg. There are a few cat hairs on this jacket. Oh, look, you �ve a hair on your nose!

But if we are referring to hair on your head, then that is uncountable.
John had his hair cut. His family had their hair cut before the wedding. Paul and John�s hair was all messy because of the wind.

21 Sep 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Mietz,

I agree with Sophia, Jayho, and Zora.

Les

21 Sep 2011     

moravc
Czech Republic

I was taught that the hairs = animal fur (or something that resembles animal fur, so the hairs might be bushy)
human hairs = strands of hair (the number of hairs is usually mentioned - two hairs, a few hairs, three hairs, seven hairs)

but:
I have curly hair but my sister has straight hair. My hair is brown. She has got black hair. (no s!)

21 Sep 2011     

Mietz
Germany

Very interesting. It seems that you don �t seem to know or use the double-meaning really.
Well - thanks for all your answers! Thumbs Up
Mietz

21 Sep 2011