Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Winner Word of the Day    

Winner Word of the Day

MarionG
Netherlands

Winner Word of the Day

Thank you all for playing!

For some reason Douglas �s definition really made me laugh. Maybe because I had a hard time pronouncing the word and saying it the way (I imagine) Al Capone supposedly said it made it easy....so i declare Douglas the winner!

Only after I had already posted the word I looked up a bit of it �s history and I found something which shows that languages grow in interesting ways...
Here is some background on the word:

Theories about the origin of "copacetic" abound. The tap dancer Bill
"Bojangles" Robinson believed he had coined the word as a boy in
Richmond, Virginia. When patrons of his shoeshine stand would ask, "How �s everything this morning?" he would reply, "Oh jes � copasetic, boss; jes � copasetic." But the word was current in Southern Black English perhaps as early as 1880, so it seems unlikely that Robinson (born in 1878) could have invented the term. Another explanation is that the word is from the Hebrew phrase "kol be sedher," meaning "everything is in order." Possibly it was coined by Harlem blacks working in Jewish businesses. This explanation does not account for the word �s popularity among Southern blacks, however. Ultimately, the origin of "copacetic" remains a mystery.

I must admit that even though I speak Hebrew fluently, I never would have made the link with the common phase mentioned in the text, even though I knew the meaning of the word, which is indeed:

Very satisfactory or acceptable; fine

23 Sep 2011      

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

A German boy was keen on Anagrams.  He spent weeks studying the famous quotation from Shakespeare�s �Hamlet�.

�To be or not to be: that is the question, whether �tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune.�

Eventually, by using every letter in the original quotation, he produced the following Anagram.

�In one of the Bard �s best-thought-of tragedies, our insistent hero, Hamlet, queries on two fronts about how life turns rotten.�

He showed it to his �Opa�, (his �grand-father�), who was a famous linguist.

The grand-father was not impressed.  �I will congratulate you with the German word, �Ausgezeichnet�, (�Excellent�).  But, there are conditions!�

�I have a conundrum for you.�

�One.  Give me a synonym, in English, for the word, �Excellent�.�

�Two.  At the same time, tell me the language of the ancient Arctic tribe of Eurasians from northwest Siberia, the �Kets�, who first used this word.�

The boy was nervous!  He thought, he drew a deep breath, and then he stammered to his grand-father.

�K � Opa � Ketic�.

The grand-father paused, smiled, and quietly answered: �Ausgezeichnet!� (�Excellent!�)

23 Sep 2011