Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > Real documents recommendations    

Real documents recommendations

aitana_zgz90
Spain

Real documents recommendations

Hello,

I write to ask you for some help! I teach a small group of adults, intermediate level. They have suggested that I could recommend them some movies, newspaper, songs... once a months so they can watch it at home and then discuss it in class. Do you have any recommendation?Thanks!:)

26 Sep 2011      

Elenie
Greece

Hi! 
There must be an English version of newspapers of your country, so why don �t you suggest them reading these papers? They will read articles that include things they are interested about and concern their lives as well.

Now about films...you could try some films they have already seen so they know what is going on and they�ll focus on language more. You should avoid films that have a complicated plot as they are intermediate level and they will need to understand both the language and the plot. Why don �t you choose a comedy or a drama about everyday life? I �d suggest Jim Carey films or maybe a nice thriller (try "Dolores Kleyborn" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109642/)

I hope my suggestions come in handy...!

Eleni

26 Sep 2011     

wende
Spain

Every once in a while I use songs with my students. A fill in the gaps thing and they really like it. Also, I tell them to watch TV in English at least 15 minutes a day. It can be easily done now with TDT in Spain, they simple have to change the audio.
These are simple things, it �s just to make them have a positive attitude towards English and to boost their confidence.
About films, I �m sure in this website you can find a lot of worksheets to use in class after they have watched the film at home. I used the film "Penelope" once, and it was great fun!

26 Sep 2011     

sarguero
Spain

Try to use Youtube videos with the lyrics or Karaoke version p.e. Lemon Tree by Fool �s Garden.
You can suggest they tell you their favourite singers, groups or songs and then using Youtube translate, read or (why not...) singing them in class. Also you can support the songs with drawings made by themselves to make posters or an oral exercise to explain the meaning of the song.
The song FREE by Lighthouse Family can be use to start a conversation about human rights for instance or the song WAR by Bob Marley (based on a Haile Selassie speech)

26 Sep 2011     

javjordan
Spain

Hi Aitana! In these cases I prefer using the internet since you can enter the newpaper�s webpages and get news from there. I also ask them to bring their own songs so they will love it for sure. I have also taught adults so if you want to exchange experiences just tell me. Smile

26 Sep 2011