Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > What do "elementary," "intermediate," and "advanced" mean at this site?    

What do "elementary," "intermediate," and "advanced" mean at this site?

MoodyMoody
United States

What do "elementary," "intermediate," and "advanced" mean at this site?

I �ve been looking at the new contributions, and I wonder what teachers consider "elementary," "intermediate," and "advanced" here. Is there a list of guidelines that I somehow missed?

I teach ESOL to adult students at a Low Beginning level (Level 2) at a community college. Many contributions listed as "elementary" are suitable or even too easy for my level, which I believe is appropriate. A few "intermediate" contributions are also good for my students, since they are adults and already understand the information in their own languages.

However, a few "elementary" contributions today leave me flabbergasted. Literary devices? Classic English literature? Really? Most of my students couldn �t read a fifth-grade level book in English without lots of help. Shouldn �t these be advanced? Or am I just being narrow-minded?

28 Sep 2011      

Redbull
Thailand

Sorry but I think maybe you are being a little picky here, after all the worksheets are "FREE".

elementary / intermediate / advanced

Low            /          Medium          /         High 

REDBULL GIVES YOU WINGS YOU KNOWWink

28 Sep 2011     

MoodyMoody
United States

I know they �re free, but I just wonder what people are thinking when they label activities on metaphor and simile or Gulliver �s Travels as "elementary." My students would be totally clueless unless they �d taken classes in their own languages. The metaphor/simile worksheet should certainly have been labeled "advanced," and GT as well unless the teacher used a dumbed-down summary.

We have rules or guidelines for almost everything else; I just wondered if there were guidelines for level-labeling. I couldn �t find any.

29 Sep 2011     

BlancaNC
United States

Yes, I believe there should be more levels, for beginner, elementary, lower intermediate, etc.  But I think what you are mentioning is that the posters are selecting the levels erroneously.  You could write to the poster and ask them to correct the level they selected.  They can easily make updates to their postings.  That would be helpful to other users of this site because if someone is seeking advanced material on metaphors or literature then it will come up in their searches. 

1 Oct 2011