Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > I beg your pardon?    

I beg your pardon?

spinney
United Kingdom

I beg your pardon?

Hi folks! 
I was wondering if some of you native speakers could help me out here. I �m going to be teaching a class next week where the vocabulary will be fixed expressions for asking people to repeat (could you say that again? ... I beg your pardon? etc.) I �ve started drawing up a list of things I �m going to say using some cockney expressions and a couple of Scottish lines, too. ("Ye dinnae ken the way to the kirk do you, pal?" meaning "Could you tell me where the church is?"  and "That �s a pucker whistle you �ve got on there me old china!" meaning "I like your suit sir!") I was wondering if anybody from Oz, New Zealand, the US the UK and Ireland could supply me with any similar confusing lines to baffle them with? I will of course write up a printable for it and post it here. Thanks in advance.Thumbs Up

3 Oct 2011      

Zora
Canada

Ouch, that �s just brutal... what about us anglophones? Can �t we Canucks participate too? Or do we have to sit on the chesterfield, drinking a double double watching the rest of you deke us out? Wink 

3 Oct 2011     

spinney
United Kingdom

Nice one! Non natives, too of course and Canucks are more than welcome! Deke out, eh? Double double? Hmm? I �ll have to look into this one.Wink

3 Oct 2011     

Zora
Canada

Deke out = outwit, and double, double = coffee with 2 cream and sugar.

Thanks, I was in a bit of a kerfuffle that us Canucks had to sit on the side lines. Wink

3 Oct 2011     

mariannina
Italy

Wacko I like your posts very much! What does Canucks mean? Non natives?
Thank you.
Mariannina

3 Oct 2011     

Sainte-Marie
United States

Canucks is a nickname for Canadians.
Johnny Canuck was used to personify Canada in the same way as John Bull --England and Uncle Sam the United States.

4 Oct 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Mariannina

don �t bother, they are newcomers and they don �t know the rules, they don �t know it �s not polite to use other language than the English one.

( They are not speaking EnglishShocked, are they, Mariannina? Tongue- I bet they aren �t  Thumbs Up)

Hug

Next time I �d love if you could post a kind of mini dictionary ( if this is not asking too much ) and, sorry, also an audio, pleeeeeaaaaaseeeeeeee, that �s realy like I can get stuck trying to spell those new words.

Loved it, thanks

Linda

4 Oct 2011     

Apodo
Australia

From Oz

What did you say?
Waddya say?
What �s that?
Come again?

How are you?
How are you going? (How �re ya goin?)
How are they hanging? (Used by male mates at the pub - not particularly polite ;-)

4 Oct 2011     

BlancaNC
United States

Hey ya �all ...

from the deep south, the Carolinas an � all,

I was fixin � to say ...

dern tootin �!

4 Oct 2011     

juliag
Japan

Not that I can remember much of my native English, I know ones that my American friends always have trouble understanding and so are probably very British include:

I �m gutted. = very disappointed
I �m knackered. = very tired

4 Oct 2011     

douglas
United States

"Nice threads!"  -- nice clothes/outfit

"How �s tricks?"  -- what �s up?

"In English please!" -- can you say that in a way I can understand it?

"Quit talking jibberish" --speak so people can understand you

"Spit it out!" --stop stalling and say what you want to say.

4 Oct 2011     

1    2    Next >