Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Two Confusing words: Retrieve and Remember    

Two Confusing words: Retrieve and Remember

Nebal
Lebanon

Two Confusing words: Retrieve and Remember

G �d evening dear teachers,
 I do need your help. Just can �t get the difference between "retrieve", and "remember." If you give me examples rather than meanings , it will be great.:))
Thanks in advance.
Butterflieeeeeeee

3 Oct 2011      

Zora
Canada

"retrieve" is the physical action of picking up, gathering, getting something that has usually been thrown.

"remember" is the mental activity where you bring to mind memories, thoughts, past events, etc.

3 Oct 2011     

teresapr
Portugal

Hi! Have a look at these links, may be they are helpful:

3 Oct 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi dear daughter , my butterfly

some two years ago I had two she dogs - they were both retrievers.  ( a labrador, has already died , and a silly. blond Golden ). They hunted, and they retrieved the hunting. Imagine, I �m hunting wild ducks, they fly, I shoot them, but I don �t know where they are after being shhooted; my retrievers were experts, they went and brought back, ( without giving a bite ) my precious wild ducks. That �s retrieving.

Remember, is what these wonderful dogs , the retrievers , do.

Whenever they met someone and I told them : "It �s a friend " , they wouldn �t ever, ever bark at them again, because they had that info in their brains.

You retrieve what you bring back, you remember what you once learned and didn �t forget - your mind retrieves  that info back to you.

Funny that, now that I am trying to clarify the meaning of these two words ( which have never been a problem to me ) I realize how they can be confusing, they both refer to something that is brought back, as Linda ( Zora ) said, physically or mentally.

Funny things we discover here.

Now, @ butterfly, teasing you a little bit ...
and what about " REMIND "

That one gave me a lot of trouble, when I was younger - it was something I always had to stop and think.

Nebalzinha,

big kiss

Linda

4 Oct 2011     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Nebal

Retrieve is to get something back, usually in a physical manner.  It is formal and get back is informal and used far more in everyday speech
Remember is to use your mind/memory to recall something

I can�t remember (recall) where I saved that that past tense game.  Oh, I remember now, I deleted it.  I wonder if I can get it back (retrieve it) from the recyle bin

Example here  How do I retrieve lost documents?

There was a terrible accident at sea and 12 sailors were trapped in the boat when it sunk.  The navy will attempt to retrieve (get back)  the bodies today.  The cause of the accident is unknown as the surviving sailors can not remember (recall) what happened.

Example here Pike miners� fathers toil to retrieve bodies

HOWEVER

We also retrieve (get back)  things from our memory, like in exam situations.  You must retrieve (get back) the information that you learned so that you can apply it in your exam.  But when we talk about it we just say remember. 

There are several memory retrieval strategies for examination purposes.
I hope I can remember everything I learned.

Cheers

Jayho

4 Oct 2011     

douglas
United States

If you retrieve something from your brain (without surgery) you are remembering.

I haven �t seen her for 5 years and I can �t remember her name.

I retrieved her name from the computer databank.

Douglas

4 Oct 2011