Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > New Word    

New Word

douglas
United States

New Word

Thanks to Gloriawpai �s post on things that irritate you, I learned a new word Smile

(apparently it �s British English):

chav

What term do you use for this kind of person? 

I Think I would say "punk kid" or "street punk"

Thanks Gloria

4 Oct 2011      

gloriawpai
Brazil

Douglas, your term is the best. I tried to come up with one, vagrant, but it �s not exactly the same. BTW, you �re welcome.

4 Oct 2011     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Chavs, punks, gothic, etc...they are all  "urban tribes".

Chavs and punks are very different, though. 
Each group has their own codes, language, attitude, shared feelings and likes,  same clothes style.

4 Oct 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

�Neds � in Glasgow - since the 19th century at least.

Here in Catalonia, you often hear the expressions �cholo � or �quillo � used both positively and pejoratively for a certain type of street style.

4 Oct 2011     

languaria
Germany

There �s a great dictionary that you should know:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chav

4 Oct 2011     

Marywell
Poland

I didn �t know this word when I heard it for the first time, but it was explained to me that a chav is a young guy who does not care much about his look, wears buggy, shabby clothes; especially a jumper with a hood. Such a person is usually unemploeyed. At least this is how this term was defined (briefly) by a guy from East-Midlands.

4 Oct 2011     

douglas
United States

Thanks all!

gloria- you are right vagrant refers to someone that moves around alot (no permanent address so to say).

Tere- the punk crowd I usually refer to as "Punkers".   Sounds like Chavs are more what I also have called "rappers" or "gangster wannabes"

Almaz- I have heard  "cholo" used in California too (often derogatory)

Languaria- thanks, I have used the Urban dictionary quite often, you just have to be careful and often take the definitions with a grain of salt.

Marywell-sounds like what I often refer to as rappers

5 Oct 2011